Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Groups

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Book Groups

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat December 6th, 2008, 6:57 pm

There's an entertaining piece about book groups here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/fashi ... ted=1&_r=1

Probably explains why I've never sought one out!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat December 6th, 2008, 7:22 pm

Wow. I belong to a book group, we have about 30 members, of which fifteen or so show up at the monthly meetings. Our discussions are lively, but we have never had any of the problems mentioned.

Maybe that is because the group is through my church. But given that over 6,000 people attend Cornerstone, there is a wide diversity of opinions on almost anything. We don't always read 'Christian' books, a category that used to give me hives. But it has forced me to read a few of the more recent offerings, which were surprisingly non-formulaic. The Shack stirred up quite a debate, but it was generally civil.

It also gives us a chance to see how the culture has changed. A couple months ago someone picked a book written in 1907, and it was so treacly that we all about barfed.

If it weren't for my book group, I would never read thrillers, mysteries, or contemporary humor, so it's good for me.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat December 6th, 2008, 11:52 pm

Ive been in a few book groups that had me running for the door. One was run by this old guy who thought himself the conisuer of literature. Dear lord he was insufferable. Then there was the group that read interesting books, till the couple who lead it moved away and it was taken over by women who wanted to discuss a book for 5 minutes and gossip for the next hour.

I love the two I am in. One is in our local independent bookstore, and has been going for ten years. The group has changed over time, but there are still some of us oldtimers there. Members recommend books and we vote on them; most of the time they are lesser known books, or ones that the bookstore sells. We've had some lively discussions and always end up enjoying the experince.

The other one is newer, and they tend to chose best sellers. I go because I like the people, and because usually I am the only one who doesn't care that much for the book, so I can add my 2 cents.

I also was a member of a few online book groups but they have really not been doing monthly discussions any more, which is too bad, because those were absolutely amazing experiences.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Midnight Hour" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun December 7th, 2008, 4:33 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Ive been in a few book groups that had me running for the door. One was run by this old guy who thought himself the conisuer of literature. Dear lord he was insufferable. Then there was the group that read interesting books, till the couple who lead it moved away and it was taken over by women who wanted to discuss a book for 5 minutes and gossip for the next hour.

[/quote]

This sounds like my group! We try to discuss the book but quite often at least 1 person won't have finished it and begs us not to give away the ending, so we don't have too much discussion. :o

We've had a couple of intellectuals turn up occasionally and when they took over the discussion it felt like being back at school again; not what the rest of us want from a book group, it's much more informal.

Return to “Chat”