Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Beauty in Heroines

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Beauty in Heroines

Postby boswellbaxter » Wed August 27th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Wed August 27th, 2008, 2:25 pm

Here is a link to a very cool "morphing" video that shows many of Hollywood's leading ladies and how concepts of beauty have changed (ties into part of the above post). If you read down through some of the comments, there is a listing of who is included in the montage. How many do you recognize?

http://glumbert.com/media/womenfilm

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Wed August 27th, 2008, 3:35 pm

What an interesting blog! It is so true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think though that one constant is health and vitality. It can take many forms but someone who is healthy and with a zest for life will always be beautiful.

Personally, I prefer a woman who is curvier and most of the men I know do too. I have two Dads, five brothers, a fiance, a lots of male friends and none of them like the stick thin figure models. Of course, today, "curvy" can sometimes mean overweight and we all know it's not healthy to be medically overweight. But the ridiculous ideal that the modeling industry (it's not really even Hollywood so much anymore) keeps pushing isn't even attractive to most men in the real world. Why is it still so popular then? I have no idea! Old habits die hard, I guess!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

nona
Bibliophile

curves are beautiful...

Postby nona » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:14 pm

how odd, I was listening to Tyra banks show yesterday, I never watch Tyra but nothing was on and it was on larger women embracing their size, something of interest to me. Some of these women were very large others just full and curvy, which I consider myself to be and it was amazing the number of men that said if society didn't 'expect' them to be with thinner blondes with large breast they would choose a fuller, thicker curvier woman cuase they were more attracted to them. Some of these men also said that when they cheated on their wives or purchased sex it was with these thicker kind of woman. I've been losing weight thinking I'm heavy and unattractive to my husband when all along I should have listened to him when he said I was beautiful the way I was, but hearing alot of men and women on a tv show made me lift my chin a little higher.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:29 am

"nona" wrote:I've been losing weight thinking I'm heavy and unattractive to my husband when all along I should have listened to him when he said I was beautiful the way I was, but hearing alot of men and women on a tv show made me lift my chin a little higher.

You rock those curves, girl!!! :D
Books to the ceiling,

Books to the sky,

My pile of books is a mile high.

How I love them! How I need them!

I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Spitfire
Reader

Postby Spitfire » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:35 am

"nona" wrote:my husband when all along I should have listened to him when he said I was beautiful the way I was, but hearing alot of men and women on a tv show made me lift my chin a little higher.

That's right, you have to listen to what the men are telling you, not what society is trying to market to us! My husband cant stant the ultra thin women with the imitation globe breasts that defy gravity no matter what position they are in. Natural is best baby, and what my husband says is a little jiggle is sexy! ;) So, be confident in what you are, that is the biggest turn on!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Whether Regency or contemporary, natural curves don't often fit into the current fashion. Modern models on runways are wearing clothes designed for stick thin women, who first have to be rich enough to buy them, and even the upscale department stores are selling dresses and skirts designed for 'hipless and thighless' women. The A-line skirt or dress is hard to find.

It seems that high fashion and curves have always been at odds. Full breasted women wouldn't look the same in the lowcut Regency gown and I'd think if the hip and thigh curves matched the full breast, then those women wouldn't appear as alluring filling up these types of dresses. What else could a member of the ton have worn then?

Corsets on the other hand are probably a curvy girl's best friend! I love the wasp figure, although most of the women couldn't breathe properly, all trussed up that way.

So could a fictional Regency heroine be described as very curvy and still be able to wear the fashion of the day? Would it work for the reader? Heaven forbid she has a wide generous mouth to go with those wide generous hips!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:59 pm

As Frank Yerby made his cliché, heaving bosoms and poppy-red lips.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun September 7th, 2008, 2:18 pm

lol I agree some women have surgery for enhancement that is unneeded.

Barbara Passaris
Scribbler

Meat on Them Bones!

Postby Barbara Passaris » Tue September 9th, 2008, 11:11 pm

My husband is NOT into skinny. (Good thing for me!) I'm one of those curvy gals--always have been, even BC--before children--when I was young and very "thin." I've always thought it interesting that the Hollywood women that have some "meat" on them (hard to find) are the ones that he thinks beautiful.

And he happens to like a little hip, as long as it's got a small waist to go with it. I don't know any men who really think bones are beautiful.

There's an old southern saying: "You have to have some meat on the bones to make good gravy."

Curves are beautiful. Shapeliness is alluring. And a little wiggle and roundness in a woman is something that a lot of guys really like. I've got brothers, male friends, and a husband who would attest to that.

As far as sexy, well, there's so much more to that than what meets the eye. Sexiness is only partially about out and out looks. It's so much to do with how one carries oneself, what's inside. That goes for men as well as women.

I'll never forget when I read one of Diana's Outlander books, (Can't recall which it was), when Claire had gained some weight and Jamie said to her, "I like ye fat, Sassenach." I could have KISSED DG for that! He also said, "If there were a skinny woman who was dripping wet, I wouldn't want her." (Paraphrased, b/c I can't remember the exact words. )

I rest my case! :D

Return to “Historical Romance”