Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Day in History

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue June 8th, 2010, 4:52 am

June 8 is the popularly accepted date for the Viking raid in 793 on Lindisfarne (despite that given in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles). This attack caused much consternation throughout the Christian west, and is now often taken as the beginning of the Viking Age.

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records:
In this year fierce, foreboding omens came over the land of Northumbria. There were excessive whirlwinds, lightning storms, and fiery dragons were seen flying in the sky. These signs were followed by great famine, and on January 8th the ravaging of heathen men destroyed God's church at Lindisfarne.

Gravestone depicting Viking marauders, outside the ruins of Lindisfarne Priory
Last edited by annis on Tue June 8th, 2010, 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue June 8th, 2010, 10:39 pm

June 9 in royal history:

June 9, 68 – Roman Emperor Nero commits suicide

June 9, 1661 – Birth of Feodor III of Russia

June 9, 1672 - Birth of Peter I "the Great" of Russia

June 9, 1806 – Birth of Louis III, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine

June 9, 1923 - Death of Princess Helena, daughter of Queen Victoria, at Schomberg House, Pall Mall, London; buried at Frogmore, Windsor

June 9, 1930 – Birth of Princess Ragnhild of Norway, daughter of Olav V

June 9, 1983 - Birth of Princess Theodora of Greece, daughter of Constantine II

June 9, 1993 - Wedding of Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan and Masako Owada
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu June 10th, 2010, 12:59 am

June 10 in royal history:

June 10, 1190 - Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa drowns while crossing the Saleph River in what is now Turkey; his flesh was interred in the Church of St. Peter in Antioch (Turkey), his bones in the cathedral of Tyre (Lebanon), and his heart and inner organs in Tarsus (Turkey)

June 10, 1688 – Birth of James Francis Edward Stuart, “The Old Pretender,” at St. James Palace

June 10, 1811 - Death of Karl Friedrich, 1st Grand Duke of Baden

June 10, 1841 – Wedding of Frederik VII of Denmark (second marriage) and Caroline of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

June 10, 1868 - Assassination of Prince Michael of Serbia in Belgrade

June 10, 1897 - Birth of Grand Duchess Tatiana Nikolaevna of Russia, daughter of Tsar Nicholas II

June 10, 1921 - Birth of Prince Philip at Villa Mon Repos in Corfu, Greece

June 10, 1967 - Wedding of Margrethe II of Denmark and Henri de Laborde de Monpezat

June 10, 1974 – Death of Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester at Barnwell Manor, Northamptonshire; buried at Frogmore, Windsor

June 10, 1981 – Birth of Prince Hashim bin Al Hussein of Jordan, son of King Hussein and his fourth wife Queen Noor

June 10, 1982 - Birth of Princess Madeleine of Sweden, daughter of Carl XVI Gustaf

June 10, 1993 - Wedding of Abdullah II of Jordan and Rania al-Yasin
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri June 11th, 2010, 7:27 am

According to the calculations of Eratosthenes, it was on this date (June 11) in 1184 B.C., that Troy was sacked and burned.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat June 12th, 2010, 12:28 am

June in royal history:

June 12, 1519 – Birth of Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany

June 12, 1701 - Act of Settlement gives the British crown to Sophia, Electress of Hanover and her Protestant heirs

June 12, 1878 – Birth of George V of Hanover

June 12, 1918 - Execution of Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovitch, son of Tsar Alexander III, brother of Tsar Nicholas II

June 12, 1968 - Birth of Sibilla Weiller, wife of Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg
Sibilla Weiller is a descendant of Spanish and British monarchs. See descent below:
King Alfonso XIII of Spain m. Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg (granddaughter of Queen Victoria) > Infanta Beatriz m. Prince Alessanadro Torlonia of Civitella-Cesi > Olimpia Torlonia m. Paul Weiller > Sibilla Weiller
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat June 12th, 2010, 10:47 pm

June 13 in royal history:

June 13, 823 – Birth of Charles II of France (the Bald)

June 13, 839 – Birth of Charles III (the Fat)

June 13, 1625 - Wedding of Charles I and Henrietta Maria of France, daughter of Henry IV of France, at St. Augustine's Church, Canterbury, England

June 13, 1688 – Wedding of Prince Antonio I of Monaco and Maria of Lorraine

June 13, 1877 – Death of Louis III, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine

June 13, 1886 - Ludwig II of Bavaria is found drowned at Lake Starnberg, south of Munich, Germany; buried at St. Michael’s Church in Munich, Germany

June 13, 1882 – Birth of Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna, daughter of Tsar Alexander III

June 13, 1965 - Birth of Infanta Cristina of Spain, daughter of King Juan Carlos
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun June 13th, 2010, 11:32 pm

June 14 in royal history:

June 14, 1753 – Birth of Louis I, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine

June 14, 1870 - Birth of Sophie of Prussia, wife of Constantine I of Greece

June 14, 1894 – Birth of Grand Duchess Marie-Adélaïde of Luxembourg
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon June 14th, 2010, 7:05 am

Battle of Naseby, 14 June, 1645. A significant victory for the Parliamentarian forces led by Oliver Cromwell. The Royalists were routed and their baggage train captured, including valuables and damaging letters written by King Charles I. Royalist wives and camp followers were also captured, and many mutilated and killed. No mercy was shown to a group of Welshwomen who were taken for the feared Irish as they were unable to speak English..

Ann Turnbull's YA novel Alice in Love and War gives an affecting account of the death of some of these Welshwomen.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon June 14th, 2010, 11:57 pm

June 15 in royal history:

June 15, 923 – Death of Robert I of France

June 15, 1215 - Signing of the Magna Carta by King John

June 15, 1330 - Birth of Edward, the Black Prince, son of Edward III, father of Richard II, at Woodstock Palace, Oxfordshire

June 15, 1519 - Birth of Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son

June 15, 1777 – Wedding of Prince Honoré IV of Monaco and Louise d'Aumont Mazarin

June 15, 1888 - Death of Frederick III, German Emperor and King of Prussia, husband of Victoria, Princess Royal, at the Neues Palais in Potsdam; buried at Friedenskirche, Potsdam
Ill with throat cancer when he succeeded his father, Frederick reigned for only 99 days before he died and was succeeded by his son Wilhelm II.

June 15, 1905 – Wedding of Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden (1st marriage) and Margaret of Connaught at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor

June 15, 1978 - Wedding of King Hussein I of Jordan and Lisa Halaby
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed June 16th, 2010, 1:18 am

June 16 in royal history:

June 16, 1269 - Wedding of Richard, Earl of Cornwall, son of King John, and Beatrix of Falkenberg at Kaiserslautern, Germany

June 16, 1332 - Birth of Isabella Plantagenet, daughter of Edward III, at Woodstock Palace, Oxfordshire

June 16, 1459 – Death of Erik VII of Denmark (of Pomerania) at Rügenwalde Castle; buried at Rügenwalde Castle

June 16, 1487 - Decisive Lancastrian victory at the Battle of Stoke

June 16, 1644 – Birth of Princess Henrietta-Anne, daughter of Charles I, at Bedford House, Exeter

June 16, 1712 – Death of Prince Hans-Adam I of Liechtenstein

June 16, 1742 – Death of Louise-Élisabeth of Orléans, wife of Louis I of Spain; buried at the Church of Saint-Sulpice in Paris

June 16, 1848 – Death of Louis II, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine

June 16, 1858 - Birth of Gustav V of Sweden

June 16, 1937 - Birth of Tsar Simeon II of Bulgaria
Simeon was the prime minister of Bulgaria from 2001-2005. He uses the name Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

June 16, 2000 - Death of Empress Nagako of Japan, wife of Emperor Hirohito, in Tokyo; buried at the Musashino Imperial Mausoleum at Hachioji, Tokyo
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “General Discussion”