Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Day in History

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun May 30th, 2010, 9:09 pm

May 31 in royal history:

May 31, 1246 – Death of Isabella of Angouleme, second wife of King John, at Fontevrault Abbey, Maine-et-Loire, France; buried at Fontevrault Abbey

May 31, 1321 – Death of Birger Magnusson of Sweden

May 31, 1443 - Birth of Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII, at Bletsoe Castle, Bedfordshire
Margaret was a great granddaughter of John of Gaunt, son of Edward III. She was 13 years old when her only child, the future Henry VII, was born.

May 31, 1469 – Birth of Manuel I of Portugal

May 31, 1495 – Death of Cecily Neville, mother of Edward IV and Richard III

May 31, 1557 – Birth of Feodor I of Russia

May 31, 1592 – Wedding of Sigismund III Vasa of Sweden (1st marriage) and Anna of Austria

May 31, 1740 - Death of Frederick William I, King in Prussia

May 31, 1906 - Wedding of Alfonso XIII of Spain and Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg
Victoria Eugenie, known as Ena, was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria and daughter of Princess Beatrice and Prince Henry of Battenberg. Ena brought hemophilia into the Spanish royal family. Alfonso and Ena are the grandparents of the present king of Spain, Juan Carlos. Their wedding was the last royal wedding in Madrid prior to the wedding of Crown Prince Felipe, their great grandson, and Letizia Ortiz.

May 31, 1923 - Birth of Prince Rainier III of Monaco
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon May 31st, 2010, 1:12 am

May 30, 1431. Joan of Arc is burned at the stake.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon May 31st, 2010, 8:37 pm

June 1 in royal history:

June 1, 987 – Hugh Capet is elected King of France

June 1, 1300 - Birth of Thomas of Brotherton, 1st Earl of Norfolk, son of Edward I

June 1, 1533 - Coronation of Anne Boleyn

June 1, 1815 - Birth of Prince Otto of Bavaria, first modern king of Greece

June 1, 1879 – Death of Napoleon Eugene, Prince Imperial, son of Emperor Napoleon III, in the Anglo-Zulu War; buried in the Imperial Crypt at Saint Michael's Abbey, Farnborough, Hampshire, England

June 1, 1983 – Death of Prince Charles of Belgium, son of Albert I

June 1, 2001 – Shooting deaths of nine members of the royal family of Nepal
Among the dead were King Birendra and Queen Aiswarya. The assailant, Crown Prince Dipendra, shot himself and died on June 4, 2001.
Last edited by Susan on Mon May 31st, 2010, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue June 1st, 2010, 10:49 pm

June 2 in royal history:

June 2, 1420 - Wedding of Henry V and Catherine of Valois at Troyes Cathedral, France

June 2, 1671 – Death of Sophia Eleonore of Saxony, wife of George II, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt

June 2, 1685 – Birth of Mary, daughter of Queen Anne
Mary was one of the five of Queen Anne’s 18 children who were born alive and one of the three who lived longer than a day. At the age of 21 months she died of smallpox. Her sister Anne Sophia, aged nine months, died of smallpox six days earlier.

June 2, 1794 – Death of Adolf Friedrich IV, Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

June 2, 1940 - Birth of Constantine II of Greece

June 2, 1953 - Coronation of Elizabeth II

June 2, 1976 – Birth of Anna Karabo Mots'oeneng, wife of King Letsie III of Lesotho
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu June 3rd, 2010, 12:55 am

June 3 in royal history:

June 3, 1843 – Birth of Frederik VIII of Denmark

June 3, 1865 - Birth of George V at Marlborough House, London
Full name: George Frederick Ernest Albert

June 3, 1877 - Death of Sophia of Württemberg, first wife of William III of the Netherlands

June 3, 1937 - Wedding of Edward, Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson at Château de Candé, near Tours, France

June 3, 1984 - Birth of Prince Félix of Luxembourg, son of Grand Duke Henri

June 3, 2006 – Birth of Countess Leonore of Orange-Nassau, daughter of Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu June 3rd, 2010, 11:44 pm

June 4 in royal history:

June 4, 1206 – Death of Adèle of Champagne, third wife of Louis VII of France

June 4, 1394 – Death of Mary de Bohun, first wife of Henry IV, at Peterborough Castle; buried at the Church of St Mary de Castro, Leicester
Mary died in childbirth giving birth to her daughter Philippa.

June 4, 1394 – Birth of Philippa of England, daughter of Henry IV, wife Eric of Pomerania, King of Denmark, Norway and Sweden

June 4, 1678 – Death of Catherine-Charlotte de Gramont, wife of Prince Louis I of Monaco

June 4, 1738 - Birth of George III at Norfolk House, St. James Square, London

June 4, 1923 - Birth of Takagi Yoriko, wife of Prince Mikasa of Japan
Prince Mikasa is the brother of the last emperor Hirohito and uncle of the present emperor Akihito.

June 4, 1941 - Death of Wilhelm II, former German Emperor and King of Prussia, in Doorn, Netherlands; buried in a mausoleum on the grounds of Huis Doorn

June 4, 1993 - Birth of Christian Mowatt, son of Marina Ogilvy, grandson of Princess Alexandra of Kent

June 4, 2001 - Gyanendra Bir Bikram Shah becomes King of Nepal upon the death of his nephew, Dipendra, who had been named king after the shooting death of his father King Birendra on June 1, 2001
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri June 4th, 2010, 10:19 pm

June 5 in royal history:

June 5, 1296 - Death of Edmund Crouchback, son of Henry III, in London, England; buried in Westminster Abbey

June 5, 1316 – Death of Louis X of France (Quarreller, the Headstrong, or the Stubborn)

June 5, 1341 - Birth of Edmund of Langley, son of Edward III, at King's Langley, Hertfordshire

June 5, 1654 – Abdication of Queen Christina of Sweden due to her conversion to Catholicism

June 5, 1771 - Birth of Ernest Augustus, son of George III, at Buckingham Palace
Prior to the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837, the Hanover kings of the United Kingdom were also Kings of Hanover in Germany. Because of Hanover's Salic Law, which forbade female succession, Victoria could not become monarch of Hanover. Her uncle Ernest Augustus became King of Hanover upon the death of his brother William. Prince Ernst of Hanover, husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco, is the senior direct male descendant of Ernest (and George III) and the pretender to the Hanover throne.

June 5, 1962 - Birth of Princess Astrid of Belgium, daughter of Albert II

June 5, 1999 - Wedding of Princess Tatjana of Liechtenstein and Philipp von Lattorff

June 5, 2005 – Birth of Irene Urdangarin, daughter of Infanta Cristina of Spain
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun June 6th, 2010, 12:12 am

June 6 in royal history:

June 6, 1502 – Birth of John III of Portugal

June 6, 1714 – Birth of José I of Portugal

June 6, 1772 – Birth of Maria Theresa of Naples and Sicily, second wife of Francis I of Austria

June 6, 1857 – Wedding of Oscar II of Sweden and Sophia Wilhelmina of Nassau

June 6, 1872 - Birth of Alix of Hesse and by Rhine, wife of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, at the Neues Palais in Darmstadt

June 6, 1934 - Birth of Albert II of the Belgians
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun June 6th, 2010, 9:29 pm

June 7 in royal history:

June 7, 1329 - Death of Robert I of Scotland (Robert the Bruce) at Cardoss Castle, Firth of Clyde, Scotland; buried at Dunfermline Abbey, Fife, Scotland

June 7, 1394 – Death of Anne of Bohemia, first wife of Richard II, at Sheen Palace, Surrey; buried at Westminster Abbey
Anne died of the plague.

June 7, 1520 - Henry VIII and Francis I of France meet at the Field of Cloth of Gold

June 7, 1686 – Birth of Adolf Friedrich III, Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

June 7, 1840 – Birth of Charlotte of Belgium, wife of Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico (Archduke of Austria)

June 7, 1840 – Death of Frederick William III, King of Prussia, in Berlin; buried in the Mausoleum in the garden of Charlottenburg Palace, Berlin

June 7, 1869 – Birth of Grand Duke Alexander Alexandrovitch of Russia, son of Tsar Alexander III

June 7, 1876 – Death of Joséphine of Leuchtenberg, wife of Oscar I of Sweden and Norway at Stockholm; buried at Riddarholm Church in Stockholm

June 7, 1969 - Birth of Prince Joachim of Denmark, son of Queen Margrethe II

June 7, 2002 – Death of Lilian Baels, second wife of Leopold III of the Belgians, at the Château d'Argenteuil, near Waterloo, Belgium; buried at royal vault at the Church of Our Lady in Laeken
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon June 7th, 2010, 10:58 pm

June 8 in royal history:

June 8, 1042 - Death of Hardicanute at Lambeth, London; buried at Winchester Cathedral

June 8, 1376 - Death of Edward, Prince of Wales, known as the Black Prince, son and heir of Edward III, at the Palace of Westminster; buried at Canterbury Cathedral, Canterbury, Kent

Photo from my visit to Canterbury Cathedral in March, 2008

June 8, 1492 – Death of Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV, at St Saviour's Abbey, Bermondsey, London; buried at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle

June 8, 1714 - Death of Dowager Electress Sophia of Hanover, granddaughter of James I and mother of George I, at Schloss Herrenhausen, Hanover, Germany; buried at the Chapel of Schloss Herrenhausen, Hanover
In 1701, Parliament passed the Act of Settlement, giving the succession to the British throne to Sophia and her Protestant heirs. This act ensured the Protestant succession and bypassed many Catholics who had a better claim to the throne. Sophia narrowly missed becoming queen, having died 2 months before Queen Anne. Sophia's son George, Elector of Hanover, became George I. Although many people call the royal family German, it is important to note that George I came to the throne through his Stuart descent. He was a direct descendant of Mary, Queen of Scots who was a direct descendant of the first Tudor king Henry VII.

June 8, 1795 - Death of Louis XVII of France at the Temple Prison, Paris; buried in the cemetery of Ste. Marguerite; his heart was buried at St. Denis Basilica on June 8, 2004

June 8, 1880 – Death of Marie of Hesse and by Rhine, wife of Tsar Alexander II of Russia

June 8, 1961 - Wedding of Edward, Duke of Kent and Katharine Worsley at York Minster

June 8, 1984 – Birth of Andrea Casiraghi, son of Princess Caroline of Monaco

June 8, 2002 - Birth of Countess Eloise of Oranje-Nassau, daughter of Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “General Discussion”