Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Day in History

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed January 20th, 2010, 1:10 am

Today in royal history:

January 20, 1382 - Wedding of Richard II and Anne of Bohemia at St. Stephen's Chapel, Palace of Westminster

January 20, 1649 - Charles I brought to trial in Westminster Hall

January 20, 1666 – Death of Anne of Austria, wife of Louis XIII of France, at the convent of Val-de-Grâce, Paris; buried at Saint Denis Basilica
Anne is the queen in “The Three Musketeers.”

January 20, 1716 - Birth of Carlos III of Spain

January 20, 1731 - Death of Prince Antonio I of Monaco, buried at Saint Nicholas Cathedral, Monaco

January 20, 1819 - Death of Carlos IV of Spain, in exile, at the Palazzo Barberini in Rome, Italy

January 20, 1896 - Death of Prince Henry of Battenberg, husband of Princess Beatrice, at sea from malaria caught in Africa during the Ashanti War; buried at St. Mildred’s Church, Whippingham, Isle of Wight

January 20, 1936 - Death of George V at Sandringham House, Norfolk, England; buried at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle

January 20, 1965 - Birth of Sophie Rhys Jones, wife of Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, at Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford

January 20, 1973 - Birth of Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz, wife of Crown Prince Philippe of Belgium
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu January 21st, 2010, 12:16 am

Today in royal history:

January 21, 1338 – Birth of Charles V of France

January 21, 1542 - Parliament passes bill of attainder against Catherine Howard

January 21, 1793 - Execution of Louis XVI of France at the Place de la Révolution, Paris; originally buried in a mass grave near the location of today's La Madeleine church, reburied at the Basilica of St. Denis

January 21, 1829 - Birth of Oscar II of Sweden and Norway

January 21, 2004 - Birth of Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, daughter of Crown Prince Haakon
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Thu January 21st, 2010, 4:56 pm

[quote=""Susan""]

January 21, 1793 - Execution of Louis XVI of France at the Place de la Révolution, Paris; originally buried in a mass grave near the location of today's La Madeleine church, reburied at the Basilica of St. Denis[/quote]

RIP Louis XVI.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu January 21st, 2010, 7:03 pm

Hmmm
How did they figure out which pieces were his?
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri January 22nd, 2010, 1:58 am

[quote=""emr""]Hmmm How did they figure out which pieces were his?[/quote]

Good question! I can't find the reference right now, but apparently the remains were identified by some clothing. Oh, here's the reference from the Wikipedia article of the Basilica of St. Denis: "During Napoleon's exile in Elba, the restored Bourbons ordered a search for the corpses of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. The few remains, a few bones that were presumably the king's and a clump of greyish matter containing a lady's garter, were found on January 21, 1815, brought to Saint-Denis and buried in the crypt." Whether the remains are really those of Louis and Marie Antoinette is, of course, uncertain.

The Basilica of St. Denis has been the traditional burial place of French monarchs. During the French Revolution, the royal remains were exhumed and buried in pits near the basilica. In 1817, the remains in those pits were exhumed and re-buried in the crypt of St. Denis. It was impossible to identify the remains of those many French royals.

Here's a couple of photos from my visit to the Basilica of St. Denis last summer. It's a very interesting place to visit.

Louis XVI's grave

This is a memorial to Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette which is sometimes mistakenly identified as their tomb. Marie Antoinette is buried in the same area as her husband.

The remains of the royals exhumed from St. Denis during the French revolution were buried in a crypt beyond the door. On either side of the door, are lists of whose remains were buried there. You can the list is rather lengthy. I could not get the second list on the right side of the door in the photo, but there were two lists on both sides of the door.

Interestingly, the effigies of the remains of the royals exhumed during the French revolution were left intact and can be seen at St. Denis. Here is a view of some of the effigies.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri January 22nd, 2010, 2:01 am

Today in royal history:

January 22, 1260 - Wedding of Beatrice, daughter of Henry III, and John of Dreux, Earl of Richmond at the Abbey of St Denis, Paris, France

January 22, 1440 - Birth of Ivan III the Great of Russia

January 22, 1592- Death of Elisabeth of Austria, wife of Charles IX of France; buried first in the Clarissine convent, since 1782 in the Ducal Crypt at St Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna

January 22, 1689 - Parliament invites William and Mary to become joint sovereigns

January 22, 1797 – Birth of Maria Leopoldina of Austria, wife of Pedro I of Brazil/Pedro IV of Portugal

January 22, 1831 - Birth of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein, husband of Princess Helena (Queen Victoria's daughter), at Augustenburg, Denmark

January 22, 1858 – Death of Ludwig II, Grand Duke of Baden
Ludwig suffered from mental illness and his brother and successor Friedrich served as his Regent.

January 22, 1901 - Death of Queen Victoria at Osborne House, Isle of Wight; buried at the Royal Mausoleum, Frogmore, Windsor

January 22, 1954 – Death of Princess Margaret of Prussia, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, at Schönberg, Kronberg, Germany
Princess Margaret, known as Mossy in the family, was the daughter of Victoria, Princess Royal and Kaiser Frederick III of Germany. She married Landgrave Frederick Carl of Hesse.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri January 22nd, 2010, 4:44 am

[quote=""princess""]RIP Louis XVI.[/quote]

Indeed. There is an engraving of the execution in my new book.

And thanks for the pictures, Susan.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat January 23rd, 2010, 2:29 am

Today in royal history:

January 23, 1045 - Wedding of Edward the Confessor and Edith "Eadgyth," daughter of Godwin, Earl of Wessex

January 23, 1516 – Death of Ferdinand II of Aragon in Madrigalejo, Cáceres, Extremadura, Spain; buried in the Royal Chapel in the Cathedral of Granada

January 23, 1570 - Assassination of James Stewart, Earl of Moray, Regent of Scotland, illegitimate son of James V; buried at St. Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh

January 23, 1688 - Birth of Queen Ulrika Eleonora of Sweden

January 23, 1820 - Death of Edward, Duke of Kent, son of George III and father of Queen Victoria, at Sidmouth, Devon, England; buried at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle

January 23, 1874 - Wedding of Prince Alfred, son of Queen Victoria, and Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna, daughter of Tsar Alexander II of Russia, at the Winter Palace, St. Petersburg, Russia

January 23, 1896 – Birth of Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg

January 23, 1957 - Birth of Princess Caroline of Monaco

January 23, 1999 - Wedding of Princess Caroline of Monaco and Prince Ernst of Hanover
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat January 23rd, 2010, 8:58 am

Thanks for all the pics Susan, that was great. It's one of the sites I still havent visited in Paris. (Last time we had a few hours in Paris I tried to visit the Pere Lachaise cemetery but they close at 5pm... :( )

So now I'm guessing someone got paid to find the rests and of course they "found" them. And there is some chance they got it right lol
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun January 24th, 2010, 2:40 am

[quote=""emr""]Thanks for all the pics Susan, that was great. It's one of the sites I still havent visited in Paris. (Last time we had a few hours in Paris I tried to visit the Pere Lachaise cemetery but they close at 5pm... :( )[/quote]

I also visited Pere Lachaise...very interesting. I kept expecting vampires to appear from the mausoleums! Next time you visit Paris, make sure you get to St. Denis and Pere Lachaise. In the meantime, here are some photos for you!

Pere Lachaise

Oscar Wilde's tomb...it's traditional to kiss the tomb in lipstick. That's what all those marks on the tomb are.

Jim Morrison's grave...there were people there playing Doors music. We followed the music to the grave.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “General Discussion”