Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Day in History

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 1:47 pm

On Nov. 22, 1963, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated while riding in a motorcade in Dallas. Suspected gunman Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested. Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in as the 36th president of the United States

I remember being in my second grade classroom, when the principal told us the news on the loud speaker. My teacher cried and we all stood up for a moment of silence. That Saturday, during the funeral, I was very put out that there were no cartoons....Sad sad day - wonder what would have happened if he had lived.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 8:31 pm

In today's "Parade" magazine supplement, someone asked a question about Lee Harvey Oswald's family. His wife remarried, to a neighbor, and had a son. The two daughters from her first marriage live private lives.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 2:47 am

[quote=""Ash""]On Nov. 22, 1963, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated while riding in a motorcade in Dallas. Suspected gunman Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested. Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in as the 36th president of the United States

I remember being in my second grade classroom, when the principal told us the news on the loud speaker. My teacher cried and we all stood up for a moment of silence. That Saturday, during the funeral, I was very put out that there were no cartoons....Sad sad day - wonder what would have happened if he had lived.[/quote]

I found out the same way also and my teacher also cried. The funeral was Monday, 11/25 though. I remember seeing Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald live on television.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 2:49 am

Today in royal history:

November 23, 1243 - Wedding of Richard, Earl of Cornwall and Sanchia of Provence at Westminster Abbey

November 23, 1511 - Death of Anne, daughter of Edward IV; buried at Church of St. Michael the Archangel, Framlingham, Suffolk
Anne married Thomas Howard, Earl of Surrey (later 3rd Duke of Norfolk) but she died young and they had no children. The Duke later married Anne Stafford, daughter of the Duke of Buckingham and was the uncle of Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard.

November 23, 1589 - Wedding of James I and Anne of Denmark at the Old Bishop’s Palace in Oslo, Norway

November 23, 1609 – Birth of Sophia Eleonore of Saxony, wife of George II, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt

November 23, 1886 – Birth of Prince Alexander of Battenberg, grandson of Queen Victoria, at Windsor Castle
Alexander was the son of Princess Beatrice and Prince Henry of Battenberg. He married Lady Irene Denison, daughter of the 3rd Earl of Londesbrough. During World War I, his surname was changed to Mountbatten and he was created 1st Marquess of Carisbrooke.

November 23, 1890 - Death of William III of the Netherlands at Het Loo, near Apeldoorn; buried at Nieuwe Kerk, Delft

November 23, 1965 – Death of Elisabeth of Bavaria, wife of King Albert I of the Belgians; buried at the Royal Crypt in the Church of Our Lady in Laeken, Belgium
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 3:25 am

[quote=""Susan""]The funeral was Monday, 11/25 though. .[/quote]

Then they probably were doing 24/7 news on that Saturday. I was six, so at the time, cartoons were much more important.

We kept our LIFE magazines for years, and when I was older I used to peruse them. The issue that I esp remember was the one of the funeral. That one of little John saluting was, even for me as a kid, incredibly moving.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue November 24th, 2009, 1:26 am

Today in royal history:

November 24, 1273 - Birth of Alfonso, Earl of Chester, son of Edward I, at Bordeaux, France
Alfonso was the third son and ninth child of Edward I and Eleanor of Castile. His two elder brothers had died so Alfonso was the heir apparent to the throne. Alfonso died at age 11 at Windsor Castle and was buried at Westminster Abbey near the shrine of Edward the Confessor. Had he survived his father, England would have had a King Alfonso.

November 24, 1615 - Wedding of Louis XIII of France and Anne of Austria

November 24, 1715 – Death of Hedwig Eleonora of Holstein-Gottorp, wife of Charles X of Sweden; buried at Riddarholm Church in Stockholm

November 24, 1724 – Birth of Maria Amalia of Saxony, wife of Charles III of Spain
Last edited by Susan on Tue November 24th, 2009, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue November 24th, 2009, 1:54 pm

November 24, 1326: execution at Hereford of Hugh le Despenser the younger, sometime pirate and favorite of Edward II, by hanging, drawing, and quartering.

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/hugh_d ... ounger.htm
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu November 26th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Yesterday and today in royal history:

November 25, 1034 – Death of Malcolm II of Scotland at Glamis Castle; buried at Isle of Iona, Scotland

November 25, 1120 - Death of William the Aetheling, Duke of Normandy, son and heir of Henry I, on the White Ship
William's death resulted in the The Anarchy, the succession crisis between his sister Maud and her cousin Stephen.

November 25, 1253 - Birth of Katherine, daughter of Henry III, at the Palace of Westminster
Katherine, who was deaf, died at age 3 1/2.

November 25, 1609 – Birth of Henrietta Maria of France, wife of Charles I, at Hotel du Louvre, Paris, France
The state of Maryland in the United States was named after her.

November 25, 1638 - Birth of Catherine of Braganza, wife of Charles II, at Vila Viçosa, Lisbon, Portugal
The borough of Queens in New York City was supposedly named for Catherine.

November 25, 1868 – Birth of Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse and by Rhine, grandson of Queen Victoria, at Neues Palais, Darmstadt

November 25, 1876 – Birth of Victoria Melita of Edinburgh, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, at San Antonio Palace, Malta
Victoria Melita was the daughter of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna of Russia. She married his first cousin Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse-Darmstadt but they divorced after seven years of marriage. After the divorce, she married her Romanov first cousin Grand Duke Kryill Vladimirovich.

November 25, 1885 – Death of Alfonso XII of Spain at Palacio Real de El Pardo, Madrid; buried at the Monastery of San Lorenzo El Real in El Escorial

November 26, 1504 - Death of Isabella I of Castile, wife of Ferdinand of Aragon, mother of Catherine of Aragon, at Medina del Campo, Spain; buried at the Capilla Real in Granada

November 26, 1847 - Birth of Dagmar of Denmark, wife of Tsar Alexander III of Russia, mother of Tsar Nicholas II, at the Yellow Palace in Copenhagen

November 26, 1869 - Birth of Princess Maud, daughter of King Edward VII, wife of King Haakon VII of Norway, at Marlborough House, London,

November 26, 1894 - Wedding of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and Alix of Hesse and by Rhine

November 26, 1992 - British government announces that Queen Elizabeth II had volunteered to start paying taxes on her personal income
Last edited by Susan on Thu November 26th, 2009, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat November 28th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Yesterday and today in royal history:

November 27, 1635 – Birth of Françoise d'Aubigné, morganatic second wife of Louis XIV of France

November 27, 1833 – Birth of Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge
Mary Adelaide was the mother of Queen Mary (wife of King George V) and the first cousin of Queen Victoria.

November 28, 1170 – Death of Owain Gwynedd, Prince of Gwynedd

November 28, 1290 – Death of Eleanor of Castile, wife of Edward I, at Harby, Nottinghamshire; buried at Westminster Abbey

November 28, 1489 - Birth of Margaret Tudor, daughter of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York, at the Palace of Westminster

November 28, 1700 – Birth of Sophia Magdalene of Brandenburg-Kulmbach, Christian VI of Denmark and Norway

November 28, 1706 - Wedding of Sophia Dorothea, daughter of George I, and Frederick William I of Prussia at Berlin, Prussia

November 28, 1811 – Birth of Maximilian II of Bavaria

November 28, 1857 – Birth of Alfonso XII of Spain

November 28, 1916 – Birth of Mary Lilian Baels, second wife of Leopold III of the Belgians

November 28, 1935 - Birth of Prince Hitachi of Japan, son of Emperor Hirohito

November 28, 1952 – Death of Elena of Montenegro, wife of Victor Emmanuel III of Italy, at Montpellier, France; buried at Saint-Lazare Cemetery in Montpellier

November 28, 1962 - Death of Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands at Het Loo near Apeldoorn; buried at Nieuwe Kerk, Delft

November 28, 1982 – Death of Helen of Greece, wife of Carol II of Romania, at Lausanne, Switzerland; buried at the Greek Orthodox Church in Lausanne
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun November 29th, 2009, 2:20 am

Today in royal history:

November 29, 1338 - Birth of Lionel of Antwerp, Duke of Clarence, son of Edward III, at Antwerp, Brabant

November 29, 1780 - Death of Maria Theresa, Archduchess of Austria, and Queen of Hungary and Bohemia, at Vienna, buried at the Imperial Crypt, Vienna

November 29, 1818 – Death of Maria Isabel of Portugal, second wife of Ferdinand VII of Spain; buried at the Royal Monastery of San Lorenzo El Real

November 29, 1934 - Wedding of Prince George, Duke of Kent, son of George V, and Princess Marina of Greece at Westminster Abbey
Marina was the first cousin of Prince Philip and a Romanov via her mother Grand Duchess Helen Vladimirovna, a first cousin of Tsar Nicholas II. George died in an airplane crash during World War II. George and Marina's youngest son, Prince Michael of Kent bears an uncanny resemblance to Nicholas II.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “General Discussion”