Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Day in History

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun November 15th, 2009, 4:49 am

Today in royal history:

November 15, 1498 – Birth of Eleanor of Austria, wife of Manuel I of Portugal and second wife of Francis I of France

November 15, 1527 - Death of Catherine of York, daughter of Edward IV, at Tiverton Castle, Devon; buried at Tiverton Church, Devon

November 15, 1669 - Death of Henrietta, daughter of James II, at St. James Palace; buried at Westminster Abbey

November 15, 1853 – Death of Maria II of Portugal in childbirth at the Necessidades Palace, Lisbon; buried at the Monastery of São Vicente de Fora, Lisbon

November 15, 1895 - Birth of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna of Russia, at Tsarskoe Selo

November 15, 1977 - Birth of Peter Phillips, son of Princess Anne, at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London

November 15, 2005 – Wedding of Princess Sayako of Japan and Kuroda Yoshiki
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon November 16th, 2009, 2:10 am

Today in royal history:

November 16, 42 BC - Birth of Roman Emperor Tiberius

November 16, 1272 - Death of Henry III at the Palace of Westminster; buried at Westminster Abbey

November 16, 1797 – Death of Frederick William II, King of Prussia at Potsdam, Germany; buried at Berlin Cathedral

November 16, 1831 – Death of Augusta Reuss-Ebersdorf, wife of Franz Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
Augusta was the grandmother of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

November 16, 1878 – Death of Marie of Hesse and by Rhine, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, at Neues Palais, Darmstadt, Germany; buried at Mausoleum of Rosenhöhe, Hessen-Darmstadt
Princess May was the daughter of Princess Alice and Grand Duke Louis of Hesse and by Rhine. She died of diphtheria at age four. Her mother succumbed to the same disease a few of weeks later.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 18th, 2009, 1:43 am

Today in royal history:

November 18, 1661 – Birth of Elisabeth Henriëtte of Hesse-Kassel, wife of Frederick I of Prussia

November 18, 1851 - Death of Ernest Augustus I of Hanover, son of King George III, at Schloss Herrenhausen, Hanover, Germany; buried at the Chapel of Schloss Herrenhausen, Hanover
Ernest became king of Hanover upon the death of his brother William IV. Hanover had the Salic Law which forbids female succession. So while Victoria succeeded her uncle William on the British throne, she could not succeed to the Hanover throne. William's next brother, Ernest did. Prince Ernst of Hanover, husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco, is the senior direct male line descendant of George III through his son.

November 18, 1726 – Birth of Prince Franz Josef I of Liechtenstein

November 18, 1774 – Birth of Wilhelmine of Prussia, wife of William I of the Netherlands

November 18, 1905 - Prince Carl of Denmark elected King of Norway
Carl was the son of King Frederick VIII of Denmark and was the nephew of King George I of Greece, Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom and Empress Marie Feodorovna of Russia. Carl married his first cousin, Princess Maud, daughter of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom.

November 18, 1940 - Birth of Sultan Qaboos bin Said of Oman

November 18, 1995 - Wedding of Prince Joachim of Denmark and Alexandra Manley
The couple divorced in April, 2005 and have since both remarried.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed November 18th, 2009, 3:52 pm

18 November

Birthdate of author Margaret Atwood who is 70 this year.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed November 18th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Legend records November 18, 1307, as the date William Tell was forced to shoot the apple off his son's head with his crossbow or face execution. You can find a condensed version of the legend here.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu November 19th, 2009, 1:18 am

Today in royal history:

November 19, 1600 - Birth of Charles I at Dunfermline Palace, Fife, Scotland

November 19, 1977 - Birth of Lady Davina Windsor, daughter of Richard, the Duke of Gloucester
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu November 19th, 2009, 1:07 pm

On Nov. 19, 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address as he dedicated a national cemetery at the site of the Civil War battlefield in Pennsylvania.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri November 20th, 2009, 1:12 am

Today in royal history:

November 20, 996 – Death of Richard I, Duke of Normandy

November 20, 1737 – Death of Caroline of Ansbach, wife of George II, at St. James Palace; buried at Westminster Abbey

November 20, 1851 – Birth of Margherita of Savoy, wife of Umberto I of Italy

November 20, 1925 - Death of Alexandra of Denmark, wife of Edward VII, at Sandringham House, Norfolk; buried at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle

November 20, 1938 - Death of Maud of the United Kingdom, wife of King Haakon VII of Norway, at London; buried at the Royal Mausoleum in Akershus Fortress, Norway

November 20, 1947 - Wedding of Elizabeth II and Philip of Greece at Westminster Abbey

November 20, 1992 - Fire seriously damages Windsor Castle

November 20, 1995 - BBC Television broadcasts the Panorama interview with the Princess of Wales who admits being unfaithful to the Prince of Wales
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat November 21st, 2009, 1:58 pm

Today in royal history:

November 21, 1682 - Wedding of George I and Sophia Dorothea of Celle at Celle Castle Chapel, Germany
The marriage occurred before George became king. George later divorced Sophia Dorothea and had her confined in a German castle for the rest of her life.

November 21, 1840 - Birth of Victoria, Princess Royal, Queen Victoria's eldest child, at Buckingham Palace

November 21, 1916 - Death of Emperor Franz Josef of Austria at Schönbrunn Palace; buried at the Imperial Crypt in Vienna
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 1:46 am

Today in royal history:

November 22, 1602 – Birth of Elisabeth of Bourbon, first wife of Philip IV of Spain

November 22, 1728 – Birth of Karl Friedrich, 1st Grand Duke of Baden

November 22, 1975 - Juan Carlos proclaimed King of Spain
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “General Discussion”