Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Devil's Whore

Christina
Reader

The Devil's Whore

Post by Christina » Thu December 4th, 2008, 11:28 pm

What an utterly bizarre series :rolleyes: ! Set in the middle of the English Civil War, it is the most trite piece of work imaginable.
The usual bodice-ripping yarn with ridiculous lines like, "Will you swim naked with with Madam?" - said from a kind of servant to the eponymous heroine - and the non-sequitur of her being one minute down-and-out in London, mistaken for a prostitute - and 'accidentally' murdering a would-be client - followed by a swift return to her riches...with occasional glimpses of the devil (complete with horns) luring her away. Then, some strange and ill-thought-out political speeches that seem to be aimed at today "redistribution of wealth...no one can have more than X amount of money....etc. etc." Utterly bizarre!! :confused:

What I do find quite objectionable, though, is the portrayal of Charles I as a completely bombastic idiot. The 'real' men are the 'revolutionaries' fired up by their dreams. The others just cling to power...Without making this political...funny how the 'revolutionaries' who seized power from the kings (who loved their countries and their people) were in love with their own egos and the desire to force everyone else to fit their view of the world, far more than people like Charles I ever did! :mad:

"The Devil's Whore" is really a lot of slapdash nonsense and I wonder if anyone else can make any sense of it??

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri December 5th, 2008, 8:30 am

I've been watching it but I don't watch it as if it's a true representation of that era, just a drama really. It's what I would call a romp. Total tish tosh! LOL. However, I'm quite enjoying it for what it is.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Fri December 5th, 2008, 10:31 am

There are a few glitches in it.. some things are left unexplained, such as how Sexby managed to get a job as a hangman so he could save Angelica. Charles was a hideous character in TDW but I don't think any of the characters are being portrayed as perfect. Oliver Cromwell comes across as a complete backstabber and the massacre in Ireland wasn't watered down.
I'm really enjoying it, even with all its devil weirdness!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri December 5th, 2008, 12:30 pm

I'm just watching it as a drama as well, I am finding the "history" a bit confusing so have just decided to go with the story - I think the writers made it clear that it's not historically accurate (in some of the interviews I've read in the TV guides) and Angelica didn't exist as an actual person, and Sexby did exist but wasn't the same as the way he's portrayed in the show, so I think they intended it to be viewed as a drama with that period of history as its background.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Fri December 5th, 2008, 4:54 pm

I haven't seen it (buried in work) - but from what I've heard I think I can bear the disappointment :-)

Does anyone remember a TV series from years ago called By the Sword Divided? It covered most of the English Civil War from the point of view of a fictional family - one sister was a staunch Royalist, and the other was married to a Parliamentarian. I seem to remember it was quite good, but that might be only nostalgia :-)
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri December 5th, 2008, 6:00 pm

Well...I like it :D

It is kind of nuts, and pretty confusing at times. I think they tried to cover too much in too short a time. Shame - cos it's a fascinating period.

And - I thought Charles I *was* a bombastic idiot - wasn't he? :eek:

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri December 5th, 2008, 6:12 pm

[quote=""Carla""]I haven't seen it (buried in work) - but from what I've heard I think I can bear the disappointment :-)

Does anyone remember a TV series from years ago called By the Sword Divided? It covered most of the English Civil War from the point of view of a fictional family - one sister was a staunch Royalist, and the other was married to a Parliamentarian. I seem to remember it was quite good, but that might be only nostalgia :-) [/quote]

I remember watching it and enjoying it. I knew nil about the history behind it at the time I saw it, though.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Fri December 5th, 2008, 8:19 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]

And - I thought Charles I *was* a bombastic idiot - wasn't he? :eek: [/quote]

Oh :p :) ...I like him. I know he was bombastic and believed in the Divine Right of Kings, but he wasn't an idiot - he was intellectually far more gifted than he is given credit for, I think. And, in spite of what is generally written, the main objection that horribly nasty Oliver Cromwell :mad: had to him was religious rather than any concern for the people.

Well, I accept the programme as a drama (albeit an odd one :confused: with the strange devil appearing) but a rather mediocre one compared to so many others. I think I remember 'By the Sword Dividied' but I might be confusing it with another old series that I really enjoyed, also set during the Civil War: "Children of the New Forest."

(And speaking of civil wars...on a completely different subject and on a different continent...I also really enjoyed Gettysburg - in spite of the false beards!!)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat December 6th, 2008, 3:25 pm

There are some good beards in DW as well! I vaguely remember By the Sword but don't think I watched it. Must admit I'm a bit bemused by the Devil's appearances too but perhaps he represents how superstitious people were in those days?

Perdita - I don't think Sexby got the job as hangman, my impression was that he killed the proper hangman, as when he went into the hut you saw a pair of legs hanging, so I'm assuming he bumped off the hangman so that he could take his place to save Angelica.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sat December 6th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Perdita - I don't think Sexby got the job as hangman, my impression was that he killed the proper hangman, as when he went into the hut you saw a pair of legs hanging, so I'm assuming he bumped off the hangman so that he could take his place to save Angelica.[/QUOTE]

Oh right, that bit confused me! So that was the proper hangman, thanks :)

Sexby is so sweet, I really want Angelica to change her mind about him in the final episode

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”