Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Holy Cow, that's quite an interlibrary loan

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Holy Cow, that's quite an interlibrary loan

Post by Misfit » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 1:28 am

So here I am in the greater Seattle area and so far when I've requested ILL's I've received books from as far away as a college in New Hampshire, a 25 year old outrageously priced mass-market paperback from Omaha, 100 year old copies of Dumas from a local college library, let alone Anchorage and Oklahoma. Half the fun of picking up the book is seeing where it came from.

Stopped in to pick up The Proud Villeins by Valerie Anand and while not so far away (Willamette Valley, OR), its from the Mt Angel Abbey Library in Saint Benedict Oregon, a Benedictine Community found in late 1800's. Read more here. I'm impressed, although the book is so immaculate it's going to scare me to death to read it. No mustard, strawberries or red wine for this reading adventure :o :) :D

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 3:37 am

The monks have good taste in books.

I got nosy and checked their library catalog - they have a decent amount of historical fiction there. Anne Perry, Gore Vidal, James Michener, and of course a lot of Ellis Peters (probably no big surprise :) They also use the same library catalog software we do where I work.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 6:24 am

I love Interlibrary Loan! I've received copies of century-old books, too, and am always torn between feeling appalled that they would allow just any old library patron like me to take them home, and feeling deeply grateful that they did. I take very good care of elderly books like this, but the occasionally flaking edges are inevitable. On the other hand, the books do nobody any good buried in a library basement.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 2:15 pm

I can't say I've ever experienced ILL in my life. I don't even think it's ever been offered if the library I go to doesn't have a copy. I mean outside of our local library system, but obviously there's more to it than that.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 2:33 pm

My favorite ILL was a book I got a few years ago from Harvard's library (or was it Yale's)? Anyway, it made me feel much smarter for the couple of weeks I had it.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 2:37 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]I can't say I've ever experienced ILL in my life. I don't even think it's ever been offered if the library I go to doesn't have a copy. I mean outside of our local library system, but obviously there's more to it than that.[/quote]

Rowan, does your library system have a website? I just go to mine and if it's not in their catalog they have a ILL/purchase request form to submit online. The only times I've been turned down were two books that turned out to be self-published and Harold the King (they said they'd have to go out of country to get it), but I didn't mind buying Harold :)

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 5:53 pm

How cool! I've only used ILL for reference material and never really gave much thought to where it came from. If I use it again in the future I'll be sure to pay attention! :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 8:06 pm

Their abbey is beautiful! I never realized Oregon was so pretty.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 8:31 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Rowan, does your library system have a website? I just go to mine and if it's not in their catalog they have a ILL/purchase request form to submit online. The only times I've been turned down were two books that turned out to be self-published and Harold the King (they said they'd have to go out of country to get it), but I didn't mind buying Harold :) [/quote]

Well whadaya know! They have Interlibrary Loans! I really had no idea that it meant borrowing books from outside the your local library system. :o Am I stupid or what?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 8:47 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]Well whadaya know! They have Interlibrary Loans! I really had no idea that it meant borrowing books from outside the your local library system. :o Am I stupid or what?[/quote]

:) :o I only figured it out by lurking on the library website, I'd never heard of it either, nor did another reading compatriot that uses the library extensively.

Return to “Chat”