Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue September 13th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Thanks Rowan :) What format did you read it in?
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Postby Rowan » Tue September 13th, 2011, 7:21 pm

I found it through my Kobo app on the iPad. I don't like Kobo. Kindle is much better. But some day I'll live in a library and have a hardcopy so it will be a moot point by then. :p

Ely
Scribbler

Postby Ely » Tue December 6th, 2011, 8:52 pm

My copy arrived today, but just wondering whether I really should start reading tonight when my alarm is set for 0600hrs?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed July 11th, 2012, 11:36 am

Just seen a cover for this on Library Thing, which to me looks eerily like a severed hand.....
Currently reading "How to stop time" by Matt Haig & "The Miller's Dance" by Winston Graham

Janet K L Seal
Scribbler

Postby Janet K L Seal » Fri October 4th, 2013, 3:24 pm

You mention Marshall's perfection but perhaps having been forced to live at the King's court from a very young age he quickly learned to avoid trouble. Kings did not have the best reputation when it came to the care of 'hostages' so I am sure he would have made himself useful and learned statecraft in addition to all the knightly skills.
By including description using all the senses the reader can imagine the scene. A very skilled narration and an enjoyable read.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sat October 5th, 2013, 3:54 pm

William Marshal is someone I am continuing to study even though the novels are written. I have a theory. I think the reason he rose and had such a career and seems to have been liked by everyone is that he had the ability to relate to people on their own frequency - and do it absolutely genuinely not cynically. So they would think 'Here is a man I can work with. Here is someone who understands.' He could do the diplomacy without being a toady, and his political awareness was razor sharp. Of course he had to have a brain on his shoulders, and the physical prowess necessary for a young hearth knight in his early years, but the entire package, put together, was something special. :-)
Les proz e les vassals

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Thu November 14th, 2013, 6:52 pm

I am happy to report... both my local library and my book shelf are getting a copy of this soon. :D (Everyone here convinced me to read it).
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Thu November 14th, 2013, 10:04 pm

"Nefret" wrote:I am happy to report... both my local library and my book shelf are getting a copy of this soon. :D (Everyone here convinced me to read it).

Hooray! - But then I would say that! :D :p
Les proz e les vassals

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”