Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Christmas Book Shopping?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
anne whitfield
Reader

Christmas Book Shopping?

Post by anne whitfield » Fri November 28th, 2008, 1:00 am

I always buy books for presents. Does any one else?

So far I've bought two cricket non-fiction books for my eldest son - one an autobiography - and I've also bought a book which is the diary entries of Mawson, one of Australia's famous Antartica's explorers for my father-in-law.

What book gifts do you have planned for Christmas?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri November 28th, 2008, 1:22 am

Sometimes I buy my husband books for Christmas gifts, but I think he'll be getting something else this year. So all of the family book shopping will probably be done for me this year. Which is fine!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri November 28th, 2008, 1:57 am

For gifts for my husband, who also has a birthday next week, I often pass on suggestions for books for him to my parents and brother. They are easy for them to find. Then I can get him the clothes, shoes etc that he might need.

I can always get my brother or mother a book. But I try to think of other things first. But buying a book for them is easy!

Dad is NOT a reader though, so I am often stuck finding something for him. My FIL is the same.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri November 28th, 2008, 2:07 am

I bought a GN and some book for a freiend on his wishlist and I might get my mom My Story about M. Monroe.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri November 28th, 2008, 2:20 am

Sad to say I'm the only one that enjoys books for gifts. If I bought a book for anone in my family, my husbands family would snub me big time becuase they don't think it is a personal purchase, they consider that an everyday buy not a gift.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri November 28th, 2008, 3:07 am

I could never get my family to give me books or cards; usually I got something pretty useless that would be regifted or end up in a goodwill box, sad to say. But then, my DH came along. My birthday is a week after Christmas. One year my husband combined both by presenting me with a dozen silk roses, each with an attached $10 book gift card. It was such a hit that he continues to do this every holiday. Some men give their wives jewlery, mine gives me books and I am forever thankful!

My sister reads and I can usually find a book for her I know she'll love. Last year she was thrilled with the Roz Chast comic collection. This year she is either getting Shakespeare's Lives, or the new Moss Hart bio. My SIL is harder to buy for so she gets a gift card. But the kids on my list: their favorite auntie* always has books for them. I love passing on some of my favorites to them as the grow: from Hungry Caterpillar and Gingerbread Baby to the youngest, to Phantom Tollbooth, Heide, and Just So stories to the middle readers, to Twain, O'Henry and Poe to the older. My best friends girl is now 14 and because we've had so many political discussions lately, she is getting Animal Farm, among others.

I actually only have 2 grand nieces. But I am 'auntie' to a dozen or so kids of friends of mine!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri November 28th, 2008, 4:45 am

I'm the only reader in my family too. I already know my gift from mom is a book about The Tudors and Stuarts in film, assuming it's out when it says it's out (Dec 12) and I don't have to wait a few months to get it after Christmas!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Fri November 28th, 2008, 6:25 am

I'm planning on buying my dad a biography on Peter Brock.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Fri November 28th, 2008, 6:44 am

I ordered about 10 books at Bookdepository yesterday for my partner, not just for his Christmas but it is also his Birthday 10 days before Christmas. Although that is not all he's getting, there will be other things too.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri November 28th, 2008, 8:12 am

I don't often buy books for Christmas presents - only for my daughter usually. This year I'm going to get her The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman as part of her haul, as she loved Coraline by the same author.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “General Discussion”