Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Title Question

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Title Question

Post by diamondlil » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 11:24 am

Someone on a blog I read asked the following question the other day, and now I am curious myself. Does anyone know if there is a specific term?

What is the literary term for that part of a novel where the line that contains the title of the novel appears?

Like the part of To Kill A Mockingbird where Atticus lectures Jem on the use of his new shotgun saying he can shoot all the blue jays (?) he wants, but it's a sin to kill a mockingbird... Or the part of Gone With The Wind where Scarlett has fled Atlanta and is trying to get home to Tara and her mother and she wonders if Tara is still standing, or is it gone with the wind that has swept through Georgia...

Source blog
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 6:38 pm

Great question! I'm not sure I've ever heard of a literary term for that. Are you sure there is one?
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 7:38 pm

I've never come cross such a term. Often the phrase used for a title will not appear in the main body of a book at all, though it may be attributed as a quotation from another book, play or poem somewhere at the beginning or end .

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 8:08 pm

Like the others I never heard of a term for it. But I'd be interestedto find out :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Tue November 25th, 2008, 5:21 am

Diamondlil, in all my years of graduate work in literature, I don't recall ever coming across a word for what you describe. That doesn't mean there isn't one, of course, but it must be very obscure if there is. I'll be curious to learn if anyone unearths one. It sounds like something that should have its own term, if it doesn't. :)
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue November 25th, 2008, 1:56 pm

I've got my trusty magnifying glass and am on the hunt for the answer...

In the mean time I've come across some new literary terms I'd never heard before. Favourite amongst them is synecdoche. :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 25th, 2008, 2:53 pm

I can't believe annis didn't have the answer. She usually finds everything :o :p

Did you try ask.com?

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue November 25th, 2008, 3:47 pm

I've tried ask.com and no such luck, but maybe my query is too complex.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed November 26th, 2008, 10:50 am

[quote=""Rowan""]I've got my trusty magnifying glass and am on the hunt for the answer...

In the mean time I've come across some new literary terms I'd never heard before. Favourite amongst them is synecdoche. :)
[/quote]

And what, pray tell, is a synecdoche?

There definitely should be a word. I love it when you are reading a book and suddenly you have that moment of recognition when you see where the title comes from!

Maybe we will have to make one up!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Wed November 26th, 2008, 4:18 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]And what, pray tell, is a synecdoche?

There definitely should be a word. I love it when you are reading a book and suddenly you have that moment of recognition when you see where the title comes from!

Maybe we will have to make one up![/quote]

Maybe we will! If the title is a person's name (e.g. Anya Seton's Katherine), eponym might come close, but even then it isn't quite right.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Return to “Questions and Research”