Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

is there a "cutoff" point for historical fiction?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue December 9th, 2008, 6:55 am

IMHO, if you were to write about WWII, Donroc, it would not be a historical novel. You'd have to do as much research as someone born after the war (unless, say, your father was a fighter pilot, in which case you might have a leg up), but at ages 7-13, the war would have affected your life. You may have had to use ration coupons, for example, and you would have been surrounded by war news on radio and in newspapers and in the talk of the adults around you. You would have formed impressions of life during wartime that will still have an emotional resonance for you today. To some extent, these would color your writing about the fighter pilots, even though you obviously had no personal experience of what it was like to fly in a dogfight.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat October 15th, 2011, 5:28 am

A comment about Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca in the "Top 10" thread reminded me that the definition of historical fiction used for the Ellis Peters Historical Award (for best historical crime novel) is 35 years prior to the publication date. Gosh! In 2011, that would be 1976.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Sat October 15th, 2011, 5:38 am

[quote=""Margaret""]....the definition of historical fiction used for the Ellis Peters Historical Award (for best historical crime novel) is 35 years prior to the publication date. Gosh! In 2011, that would be 1976.[/quote]

I personally find that very strange. With antiques they say anything older than 100 years. I wonder if there is an official "saying" for historical books as well?
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat October 15th, 2011, 9:03 am

It's definitely quite difficult to define what is or what isn't classed as historical fiction. I would class a story set in either of the World Wars as historical as they are part of history, but they weren't really that long ago. They're classed as modern history.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Long Call" by Ann Cleeves
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat October 15th, 2011, 11:23 am

[quote=""Margaret""]A comment about Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca in the "Top 10" thread reminded me that the definition of historical fiction used for the Ellis Peters Historical Award (for best historical crime novel) is 35 years prior to the publication date. Gosh! In 2011, that would be 1976.[/quote]

That's ridiculous! :eek: :confused:
Currently reading: "The Long Call" by Ann Cleeves

Manda Scott
Reader

Post by Manda Scott » Tue October 18th, 2011, 7:40 am

In the Historical Writers' Association, we have a definition that anything set or predominantly set in a time period greater than 35 years prior to the date of publication is a historical novel. So Dickens isn't, but Andrew Taylor's brilliant 'Lydmouth' crime/mystery series which is set in the 50s, definitely is...

Manda (Chair of the HWA)

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue October 18th, 2011, 8:29 pm

I would class anything that's not within the author's living memory as historical fiction. Of course if you're a precocious brat and write a novel when you're ten that might make 2001 within your ballpark, but yeah. If you have to write your work from book and archives and talking to people who lived it before you were born, then I'd count it as historical.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Thu February 2nd, 2012, 11:13 pm

What's interesting is that authors my mother viewed as contemporaries (James Hilton, Warwick Deeping, Nevil Shute), I enjoy as historical fiction. All three are wonderful for giving you a taste of the interim between the World Wars and just after WWII. A reader can get a real flavor of the eras by reading the contemporary authors of that era.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

Return to “General Discussion”