Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New library facilities

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

New library facilities

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri November 21st, 2008, 5:30 pm

Library-goers will be relieved to hear this:

For toilet-less Vermont library, a new chapter

By JOHN CURRAN
Associated Press Writer
Posted: Today at 8:45 a.m.
Updated: 42 minutes ago
ROXBURY, Vt. — When you gotta go, you gotta go. But for decades, when you had to go in the Roxbury Free Library, you really had to go - somewhere else, that is.
The one-room clapboard building, a beloved small-town gathering place since 1923, had no restrooms. When nature called, patrons young and old either had to hold it, do their business next door at the Roxbury Union Congregational Church or go home.
Never mind that the library has such modern conveniences as wireless Internet access.
"I used to say `We're the Wi-Fi library without a pot to p--- in,'" said library director Susan D'Amico.
No more: Construction is under way on a small addition that includes a 6-by-8-foot restroom with a sink and toilet. The toilet was installed Nov. 14.
Originally built as a tea room, the building was converted to a library in 1934, its shelves chockablock with best-sellers, children's books and knickknacks. It has hosted pruning workshops and travel programs, author visits and local history nights.
But it always did so without a toilet, which wasn't required when the building was constructed.
Sometimes, library patrons rushing out to use the john next door made it. Sometimes, they didn't.
"We always had to make sure we used the bathroom before we came to story hour," said Chris Dorer, 32, whose 3-year-old daughter, Izzy Jackson, played in the library Wednesday afternoon. "When she was potty training, if we had to go to the church, we'd miss all of story hour doing it, especially in winter, when we had to gear up."
The church was more than happy to oblige its neighbors. Library patrons always obeyed the "Please jiggle my handle after you flush" sign in the church's bathroom, for one thing.
Thanks to a private fundraising campaign that raised $22,000, a $14,900 Vermont Arts Council grant and the work of volunteers and local tradesmen, the church will no longer have to put up with the one drawback to its potty-sharing arrangement: well-read squatters.
"Every so often, we have to knock after an hour or so, and when the (bathroom) doors open, it's someone who's been reading a book," church deacon Claire Chomentowksi said.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat November 22nd, 2008, 1:04 am

Those poor library patrons who love to browse for hours and all the little kids! I'm surprised the libarary didn't have a supply of Luv's plastic diapers/nappies or Depends (nappies for adults) on hand. They would not have been required to be returned, I'm sure. :p
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat November 22nd, 2008, 4:37 am

I'm quite interested in seeing what the rest of th elibrary looks like! :D
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 8:13 am

Little bit of difference between this one and the one that Amy posted on her blog that has just been opened in Denmark.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 2:47 pm

Sounds like the church will be glad not to have patrons spending time in the loo reading :p

Slightly OT but this brings to mind the bathroom at the library in the very small town of Show Low, Arizona where the populace is predominantly senior citizens. The toilets all had those metal support bars on both sides to make it easier to get up after doing one's business. A very very strange experience, let me tell you. :)

Caveowl
Scribbler

Post by Caveowl » Mon November 24th, 2008, 12:16 am

The library I directed, for the first 25 years, had one-toilet, which every kid in town seemed to use. Directions: go behind the circulation counter and through the little staff work area. Remember to close the door. The year the district couldn't afford to run the buses was memorable.

Return to “Chat”