Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Emma Campion: The King's Mistress

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri November 21st, 2008, 2:20 pm

I have to go with EC on the cover being a bit off. I thought it was a tablecloth spilling down before I recognized the partial figure of a woman because I finally noticed a hand. I'd like to know if she's facing forward or if we are looking at her from a rear view. Oh well, it's half a scarlet woman anyway! ;)

I'd like to read the novel despite the confusing cover. EIII's court and reign will always be Katherine territory for me.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri November 21st, 2008, 6:05 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]I Oh well, it's half a scarlet woman anyway! ;)

I[/quote]

ROFLOL! I hadn't thought about it like that!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Melisende
Reader

Post by Melisende » Wed November 26th, 2008, 11:46 am

I look forward to reading this - I have a biography of Alice (though its very old).
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu November 27th, 2008, 2:15 am

The cover doesn't look that bad to me, but then I look at the covers of an awful lot of self-published novels. By now, I can usually spot a self-published novel by its cover alone.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu November 27th, 2008, 2:26 am

[quote=""Melisende""]I look forward to reading this - I have a biography of Alice (though its very old).[/quote]

Who did it? I vaguely recall there being one in the university library I frequent.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Melisende
Reader

Post by Melisende » Sat December 6th, 2008, 8:00 am

Susan

"Mistress of the Sun" by F George Kay (Pub: 1966)
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

penelope29
Scribbler

Post by penelope29 » Fri August 21st, 2009, 8:53 pm

I'm nearly two thirds through this novel and so far I'm enjoying it. It's not the most exciting of books, not an awful lot happens but it is nicely written and very detailed about the costumes of the period which I find fascinating. On close inspection I have to agree with the awfulness of the cover. It is ok from a distance but really doesn't look good close up. Shame!

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 6:56 am

[quote=""penelope29""]On close inspection I have to agree with the awfulness of the cover. It is ok from a distance but really doesn't look good close up. Shame![/quote]

Yes, I walked right across Waterstone's to see what it was, so on that level it works, but having picked it up I thought the cover was plain tacky.

Return to “Later Medieval”