Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Emma Campion: The King's Mistress

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Emma Campion: The King's Mistress

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu November 20th, 2008, 9:51 pm

I've read for a long time that Candace Robb was writing a novel about Alice Perrers, Edward III's mistress, and I was excited to find out in the Historical Novels Review that it's being released in the UK in April under the name of Emma Campion. It's called, quite aptly, The King's Mistress.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu November 20th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, boswellbaxter. I hadn't realised that Candace Robb was a pseudonym. I enjoyed her "Owen Archer" mysteries and thought the "Margaret Kerr" books particularly good.

*Edit- I'm looking at the Amazon UK site and now I'm wondering which is the pseudonym- Candace Robb or Emma Campion? I can't find anything which makes that clear.
Last edited by annis on Thu November 20th, 2008, 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu November 20th, 2008, 10:36 pm

What a very strange cover. Looks as if it's been done on the cheap. I'd be interested in the book though.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Thu November 20th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Boswell, that's actually funny b/c when I put the notice in the HNR, I did it unknowing that Candace Robb was the real author. I knew Robb had been writing about Alice Perrers, but had heard she'd put the manuscript aside so wasn't expecting to see it. For some very odd reason I didn't connect her with "Emma Campion" - in fact I assumed "Emma" had beaten her to publication on the same subject!!

Candace Robb is her real name. I'm assuming the pseudonym is so readers don't think it's a medieval mystery.
Last edited by Ariadne on Thu November 20th, 2008, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu November 20th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Yes, it's a step further in the disappearing cover figure phenomenon -- not only a headless but a half-of-the-body-missing one!
Last edited by annis on Thu November 20th, 2008, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri November 21st, 2008, 12:45 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]Boswell, that's actually funny b/c when I put the notice in the HNR, I did it unknowing that Candace Robb was the real author. I knew Robb had been writing about Alice Perrers, but had heard she'd put the manuscript aside so wasn't expecting to see it. For some very odd reason I didn't connect her with "Emma Campion" - in fact I assumed "Emma" had beaten her to publication on the same subject!!

[/quote]

That's what I thought too, so it was a nice surprise!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri November 21st, 2008, 8:14 am

Sounds good, I've added it to my wish list so I don't forget it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri November 21st, 2008, 12:37 pm

Actually, I think the cover's quite nice and well done.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri November 21st, 2008, 12:43 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Actually, I think the cover's quite nice and well done.[/quote]

Hmm... I think it looks like a badly photoshopped picture of someone posing with a charity shop curtain!
As I say, no reflection on the book. I'll look forward to reading it.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Fri November 21st, 2008, 12:55 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Hmm... I think it looks like a badly photoshopped picture of someone posing with a charity shop curtain!
As I say, no reflection on the book. I'll look forward to reading it.[/quote]

Haha, I love that description.

Return to “Later Medieval”