Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Life Magazine photo archive

Got a link of interest to your fellow members? Post it here!
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Life Magazine photo archive

Post by diamondlil » Wed November 19th, 2008, 8:12 am

Google has acquired the whole Life Magazine photo archive, and they are putting it up online for all of us to see. The entire archive should be available by early next year.

To check out the images ranging from 1750's on, click here

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed November 19th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Oh, I spent many many happy afternoons in our hall closet as a kid, rereading back issues of Life. I learned about our recent history via photos long before I knew it in print. Images of the civil rights movement and the vietnam war stayed with me for years, and helped me get an understanding of the time, as I was really too young to really get the issues of the 60s. I still love reading their end of the year issues.

That website is going to be a total time suck for me, but one I look forward to!

Edit: ok whats up with this? the only photos from the 20s is of Charles Lindbergh? And the only photos from the 60s is of Apollo space program? Theres got to be a way of accessing more of these - anyone have an idea?
Last edited by Ash on Wed November 19th, 2008, 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed November 19th, 2008, 2:14 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Edit: ok whats up with this? the only photos from the 20s is of Charles Lindbergh? And the only photos from the 60s is of Apollo space program? Theres got to be a way of accessing more of these - anyone have an idea?[/quote]

lil said that it's not a complete archive and that it should be complete by early next year....

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed November 19th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Thanks - I went back and googled after I posted and saw the article from the Guardian. It is going to be very cool when its all up!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 19th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Great, all I need is another time suck. Although it is the slow period at the office this time of year.. :o :p

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed November 19th, 2008, 6:09 pm

I discovered this while looking for Lady Jane images and they had a larger one of one I already had, so I was a happy camper. Wish they had more though.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed November 19th, 2008, 7:01 pm

It's like opening a time capsule....Thanks for sharing.....

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Wed November 19th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Call me thick, but how do they have a collection of photographs stretching from the 1750s till today?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed November 19th, 2008, 9:22 pm

Maybe that should have read 1850s?
Thanks for the link- very interesting. We're inclined to forget just how far back photographic images go- even moving images were being trialed by the 1860s.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Wed November 19th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Perhaps they meant images.

Return to “Links”