Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anachronisms

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun December 28th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Thanks, Volgadon- I'd forgotten about "Blimey". That's an English favourite, but we do also use it in Australia and New Zealand. Another one brought here from England is "Crikey", which is supposed to derive from the saying "Christ kill me".
It's a pity we've lost some of the more colourful ones like "Zounds" (God's Wounds") and "Gadzooks" ( God's Hooks- a reference to the nails used in the crucifixion)

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun December 28th, 2008, 11:33 pm

[quote=""annis""]Agreed, MLE, PCism has reached the point of creating jargonistic obfuscation (love that word!) wherever you go. This is what happens when you're not allowed to call a spade a spade anymore, but have to describe it as a digging implement- not only is it clumsy, but the precision of meaning is lost.
I can feel the presence of gyrehead's shiny new soapbox beneath my feet :)
This is an example of local authority jargon ( not PCism) which had me saying "Strewth!" the other day.
<As part of the project Council has initiated several things to progress rural addressing>
Bring back English, I say![/quote]

Oh, I can sooo agree with this! As someone who is 'physicially disabled' -- to be blunt, crippled, I get so annoyed with the polite, 'i'm trying to show concern' effort that goes around. I hate it, as it both minimizes and tries to cover up, what I live with on a daily basis, and helps the sayer to feel better when faced with something that they'd rather not face. Oh I could rant on about this, but I had better shut up now...

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon December 29th, 2008, 2:10 am

[quote=""annis""]Posted by keny

"Strewth" (God's truth) is used equally in Australia & New Zealand, keny.
I can't think of any others offhand.[/quote]

I don't tend to use strewth very much, but I do use blimey a lot - usually as in Blimey Charlie, but I really have no idea what Charlie has to do with anything!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon December 29th, 2008, 5:40 am

Yes, how did Charlie get into things? My grandfather, who was a Cockney, used to say "Gor Blimey", which is even closer to the original "God Blind Me".
He was a sailor from a very early age and came out to NZ on one of the last sailing ships. As kids we found him a source of horrified fascination- he had multiple intriguing tattoos and a glass eye which he'd take out to give us the willies. (And i've no idea where that saying comes from!)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon December 29th, 2008, 2:14 pm

I'm always looking for good cursing words (I'm peripherally challenged and run into corners and stub my toe a lot!). Strewth is a great word for those occasions.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Mon December 29th, 2008, 9:17 pm

Interestingly enough, the Russian for thank you- spasibo- is a contraction of God save.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon June 1st, 2009, 1:16 am

Currently reading Ariana Franklin's "Grave Goods".....Adelia "The Mistress of Art and Death" .She mainly deals in forensics while investigating murder cases , but sometimes uses her medical training in a number of ways to treat sick or injured individuals.....Today I learned something.....In GG Adelia was treating a injured knight with a rupture achilles...first she tried splints and knew this would not work....Then she remembered the formula for making a cast that would immobilize the knight's leg for at least six months.....I thought this might be a anachronism.....I thought the casting procedure did not start till around the 1700's....On researching I found out it Casts were used back in ancient Greece and Rome.....Any way I'll never doubt Ms. Franklin's Medical knowledge again .......BTW.... really enjoying the novel....anytime it involves studying the bones thought to be of Arthur and Guenevere buried in Glastonbury Abbey.....I'm in....
Last edited by chuck on Mon June 1st, 2009, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Mon June 1st, 2009, 1:50 am

Regarding 'Dad', which I found independently from a number of sources:
Another word that is commonly thought to derive from Welsh is Dad, meaning "father". It is considered to come from the Welsh tad, which becomes dad under soft mutation. However, according to the OED, this word derives from the infantile forms dada and tata, which occur independently in many languages. It states that the Welsh tad "is itself merely a word of the same class". The OED may be incorrect, however, as notwithstanding its alleged occurrence independently it does not seem to occur in Dutch or German both languages closely related to English nor is it found in Anglo-Saxon. A possible support for the OED position occurs in the Jewish-Germanic dialect called Yiddish, which uses "Tate" for father, instead of the German word.

For anyone who wants to really pursue this swearing thing (me!), there is a book called "The Anatomy of Swearing" by Ashley Montagu, which has a chapter devoted to its English history.
It begins on page 107. Well worth the read!

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Mon June 1st, 2009, 2:09 am

Wow, that sounds like a great book to have! Convincing swearing is the hardest part of writing dialogue, I always think.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Celia Hayes
Reader

The 'Orrible Anachronisms

Post by Celia Hayes » Sat June 13th, 2009, 5:25 pm

[quote=""Margaret""] Have you noticed an anachronism in something you read recently that drove you nuts? Do share!
How many (and/or what kind of) anachronisms will you tolerate in a novel you're reading before you give up and bang the wall with it?[/quote]

The anachronism which annoyed me the most was in this book, which I reviewed a while ago, was a description of a covered wagon on the emigrant road to California, which described a man driving an ox team by sitting on the wagon seat and controlling the team with reins :eek: In actuality, in the American west, an ox team was driven by a person on foot, walking next to the lead team and controlling with voice commands. There are numberless contemporary illustrations showing this, it's not a particularly obscure matter. (there were another couple of goofs in this book - the next most noticeable for me was a description of a waterhole in the 40-Mile Desert adorned with alpine-type trees.)

The next most awful, anachronism-riddled book was this one. Oh, my ... the one time I break my own rule about accepting a book for review only if I have been able to read a sample chapter or two on-line.

And then there was the one about the WWII French underground, which had a basement hidy-hole insulated with styrofoam. I gave up at that point. What I had read so far was barkingly awful anyway.
Celia Hayes
www.celiahayes.com

Return to “General Discussion”