Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arthurian Literature

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon September 8th, 2008, 9:27 am

"Spitfire" wrote:I know what you mean about the Richard Gere thing. That is why I really try not to watch a movie before I read the book that it is based on, and that I am really interrested in reading. It is really hard not to visualize the actor and what the actor was doing in the movie whilst reading the novel. I hadn't watched the movie First Knight since the 80's (or close thereabouts, can't remember when it came out...long time ago anyways) so it no longer came to mind when I read the book. If this is the same for you, I say go ahead and read the novel, EC won't let you down. But if the movie is still fresh in mind, you just might want to wait abit...or alot! :rolleyes:

I am not 100% sure, but I think you will find that EC was contracted to write the movie of the book, not the other way around.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

alice
Reader

Postby alice » Sun September 14th, 2008, 2:24 pm

I read a really good Arthurian series a few years ago, by Helen Hollick. I don't remember much about the Pendragon's Banner trilogy now, except that I really enjoyed it at the time.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Mon September 15th, 2008, 11:00 am

"alice" wrote:I read a really good Arthurian series a few years ago, by Helen Hollick. I don't remember much about the Pendragon's Banner trilogy now, except that I really enjoyed it at the time.

Yes, Helen Hollick's trilogy is excellent.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Survivors by Kate Furnivall & The Corset by Laura Purcell (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon September 15th, 2008, 3:31 pm

Is that the Helen Hollick who wrote a couple of pirate books recently, which are currently in my TBR pile (I think I was attracted to them due to the Johnny Depp/Captain Jack Sparrow phenomenon!! :o )?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Mon September 15th, 2008, 4:53 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:Is that the Helen Hollick who wrote a couple of pirate books recently, which are currently in my TBR pile (I think I was attracted to them due to the Johnny Depp/Captain Jack Sparrow phenomenon!! :o )?

Yes, that's the same author. She wrote the Arthurian trilogy, then two books on King Harold / Queen Emma (also excellent). Now she's moved on to pirates! I've not read those yet, though.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Survivors by Kate Furnivall & The Corset by Laura Purcell (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon September 15th, 2008, 5:23 pm

They look good fun! :)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Mon September 15th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Just trawling the forum before bed-time and started reading through this.
I was hired to turn the script of First Knight into a novel by Columbia Pictures as part of their marketing peripherals. I had enormous problems with it at first because it's a fantasy script and doesn't have that much medieval about. 'But Lancelot's a peasant! What's he doing with a sword!' 'And why is Arthur a hundred and three?' And the weapons and armour are all wrong!' Then I calmed myself down. Told myself it was fantasy and to get on with it already!
So.... I wrote the book of First Knight from the film script and it was an interesting learning curve. I got to see Pinewood studios and the film set and to meet Gerry Zucker the producer. Unfortunately Sean Connery and Richard Gere weren't there on filming day. Rats

Arthurian fiction. The Mary Stewart tales and Rosemary Sutcliffe remain my favourites.

I've got Helen Hollick's Arthur series but I haven't read it. However I've read her pirate books and they're excellent Sea Witch and Pirate Code. I'm seeing Helen and we're going out for a meal after attending a writers' festival weekend after next. Should be fun.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Christine Blevins
Scribbler

Postby Christine Blevins » Tue September 16th, 2008, 1:47 am

It has been years since I read it, but I remember THE ACTS OF KING ARTHUR AND HIS NOBLE NIGHTS by John Steinbeck being a great, albeit unfinished, work.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue September 16th, 2008, 9:15 am

"Christine Blevins" wrote:It has been years since I read it, but I remember THE ACTS OF KING ARTHUR AND HIS NOBLE NIGHTS by John Steinbeck being a great, albeit unfinished, work.

Yes, I enjoyed that one - apparently! I can't remember anything about it now, but it has a 9 out of 10 in my ancient reading diary from the late 70's/early 80's.
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Tue September 16th, 2008, 12:01 pm

Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat is supposedly based on King Arthur.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Return to “Historical Fantasy”