Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Mon July 27th, 2009, 9:13 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:I find it interesting that after 40 years there's been no big screen movie about the first moon landing but when something goes wrong we get a big screen movie, "Apollo 13".

SM

Cos there's no conflict in the Apollo 11 mission: they go to the moon, they land, they come back, nothing goes wrong. That's it. From a purely dramatic point of view, Apollo 13 is much more interesting.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Mon July 27th, 2009, 11:07 pm

I was suspecting the same. BTW someone mentioned the Australian film The Dish, which is about the moon landng, but more about the group of folk who bought a satellite dish so they could watch it.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon July 27th, 2009, 11:09 pm

Leo: you're not wrong.

I saw "The Dish" ages ago because Sam Neill is in it.

"Ash" wrote:I was suspecting the same. BTW someone mentioned the Australian film The Dish, which is about the moon landng, but more about the group of folk who bought a satellite dish so they could watch it.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Tue July 28th, 2009, 5:27 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Leo: you're not wrong.

I saw "The Dish" ages ago because Sam Neill is in it.

SM

That was such a charmer of a film! Try the miniseries, From Earth to the Moon -- it's better than Apollo 13. Sam Neill = Hot.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue July 28th, 2009, 5:32 am

"Telynor" wrote:That was such a charmer of a film! Try the miniseries, From Earth to the Moon -- it's better than Apollo 13. Sam Neill = Hot.

It's not that I'm all that keen on movies about space travel, it just that I thought it was interesting that such a huge event hasn't warranted a big screen movie yet.

I discovered Sam in "Jurassic Park", I can distinctly remember saying to myself "Oooh, who is that?" when he first came on screen. I haven't watched much of his work lately, most of it hasn't been high quality from what I can tell, which is a shame cause he's a great actor and deserves better work!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue July 28th, 2009, 10:49 am

Do you remember him in Reilly Ace of Spies? Mmm very nice. True that he doesn't seem to be around that much at the moment.
Currently reading "How to stop time" by Matt Haig & "The Miller's Dance" by Winston Graham

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue July 28th, 2009, 12:39 pm

It's because he has been busy making ads for Red Meat for Australian TV. There are a couple of different ones including a new one that I can't find on Youtube:

Red meat
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue July 28th, 2009, 5:59 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Do you remember him in Reilly Ace of Spies? Mmm very nice. True that he doesn't seem to be around that much at the moment.

Of course! I wasn't happy with the ending but I guess that's what really happened to real guy it was based on. Sam was smoking HOT!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Wed July 29th, 2009, 5:32 am

Managed to finish up volume 2 of The King and I, a tale from fifteenth century Korea, and there is one heartbreaker of a love story in it. I was so caught up in it, that as soon as I had finished it, I turned around and put the first DVD of volume 3 in to see what happened next, and cried buckets at the outcome.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Wed July 29th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Sam Neill making ads for red meat is enough to make you want to weep.

But not as much as "The Women" with Meg Ryan and Anette Bening. The original is one of my favorite films: fast-paced, witty, stupendously cast. Last night I saw the re-make and it was just dreadful. As in, whoever produced it should be fined.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”