Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

chuck
Bibliophile

1964 The Long Ships

Postby chuck » Thu May 28th, 2009, 2:58 am

"Leo62" wrote:LOL I was just going to say that! Yeah those vikings and their short shorts and 1950's foundation garments. :p

Was this the one with the bell at the end? I always get it mixed up with the other viking movie that had Sidney Poitier as the bad guy...

Classic movie, anyway :D

Different films...."The Long Ships" starring Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier, and Russ Tamblyn.....Acting was so hammy and the story is definitely "not history" ....but a entertaining film to watch.....SP was the a evil doer and the vikings were looking for the Bell made out of gold.....film is full of funny cliches....It had a big budget and their Long ship is one the largest I've seen on screen.....Fun film....

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Thu May 28th, 2009, 2:41 pm

I watched Angels & Demons yesterday. Book was better than movie and both were better than DaVinci Code, of course. A&D was OK overall - too much choppy chasing about punctuated by an overly dramatic score and then quiet lags. It had great special effects at the end. The best part was the setting - so much Rome! I so want to visit someday.

And Ewan McGregor was a big bonus. Love that Scotsman!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri May 29th, 2009, 7:13 pm

I saw A & D yesterday too. Quite enjoyed it once it got going, glad they cut out all the stuff about CERN which is at the beginning of the book, and also the stuff with the 2 journalists. They have changed quite a lot of it from the book though; good effects at the end and Rome looked great and I'd love to know how they re-created the Sistine Chapel as they weren't allowed to film there, I was wondering if that's why quite a lot of it was filmed at night (although it is if course, set in the few hours before midnight anyway!), but darkness hides a lot of things.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri May 29th, 2009, 11:28 pm

I will watch A&D soon....My problem is Tom Hanks.....a very capable actor....but he is not good fit as Robert Langdon ....I'm not sure if it's the pudgy look, bad hair day or his acting.....
Last edited by chuck on Fri May 29th, 2009, 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland

Postby Madeleine » Sat May 30th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Agree that Tom Hanks is totally miscast as Langdon, however he does at least have a decent haircut in A & D.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sat May 30th, 2009, 9:52 pm

"chuck" wrote:Different films...."The Long Ships" starring Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier, and Russ Tamblyn.....Acting was so hammy and the story is definitely "not history" ....but a entertaining film to watch.....SP was the a evil doer and the vikings were looking for the Bell made out of gold.....film is full of funny cliches....It had a big budget and their Long ship is one the largest I've seen on screen.....Fun film....

Oh yes that's it - thank's chuck :D So THAT was the one with the bell...I guess Widmark in a mini-skirt and Douglas in a mini-skirt have just blurred together in my mind. :eek:

Just watched Good with Viggo Mortensen as a reluctant Nazi...excellent movie, thought not a bundle of laughs.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Sun May 31st, 2009, 4:22 am

Now that you mention Viggo.....He could have pulled it off..... Robert Langdon

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun May 31st, 2009, 4:42 pm

Very disappointed in Babes in Arms from 1940. Nothing against Garland and Rooney, but I grew up singing songs from the play and they cut the best ones out. Plus they monkeyed with the story. I guess even in the glamourous days Hollywood was still Hollywood.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Postby Madeleine » Sun May 31st, 2009, 4:54 pm

"chuck" wrote:Now that you mention Viggo.....He could have pulled it off..... Robert Langdon

Agree entirely, when I read DVC years ago when it first came out I thought of him straightaway, he's more Langdon's age too (he's 45 in DVC which is the age that Viggo was at the time).

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Sun May 31st, 2009, 4:55 pm

I saw Sunshine Cleaning with Amy Adams and Emily Blunt. Quirky darkish drama about two 20s-something sisters still trying to deal with fallout from a childhood tragedy. Alan Arkin co-stars as their father. Rather good drama with many light comedic touches.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”