Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Mon April 20th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Watched "The Wind That Shakes The Barley"....Very impressive story about the Irish Rebellion...Sad and very compelling ...Had some trouble understanding the dialogue..Excellent Irish cast....the lead was Cillian Murphy...Ireland is breathtakingly beautiful.....

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Mon April 20th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Anyone see "The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler" on CBS last night? Anna Paquin played the lead role. I couldn't finish but it was worthwhile. Amazing story!

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Tue April 21st, 2009, 2:50 am

"princess garnet" wrote:Anyone see "The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler" on CBS last night? Anna Paquin played the lead role. I couldn't finish but it was worthwhile. Amazing story!
I watched the whole movie and was impressed by the Hallmark production. I was doubly impressed when I saw the end credit regarding the fact that she was mostly unknown until a small group of American high school students found out about her achievements and were a thus roundabout part of her Nobel Peace Prize achievment.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Tue April 21st, 2009, 4:58 pm

Watched the new DVD version of "Captain From Castile"...still resonates with me....wish they would have done a two part film and dealt with the second part of Shelabarger's great novel....

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue April 21st, 2009, 11:02 pm

"princess garnet" wrote:Anyone see "The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler" on CBS last night? Anna Paquin played the lead role. I couldn't finish but it was worthwhile. Amazing story!

I watched parts of it. I liked the end where it spoke about her. I didnt like the accents though. It distracted me.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Fri April 24th, 2009, 5:07 pm

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Very good movie - a pleasant surprise.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat April 25th, 2009, 1:41 am

"chuck" wrote:Watched "The Wind That Shakes The Barley"....Very impressive story about the Irish Rebellion...Sad and very compelling ...Had some trouble understanding the dialogue..Excellent Irish cast....the lead was Cillian Murphy...Ireland is breathtakingly beautiful.....

John McCutcheon has a CD by that title; wonderful hammer dulcimer music. What was the soundtrack like?

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Sat April 25th, 2009, 3:15 am

Soundtrack was very good....The title of the film came from a poem written about the Irish rebellion during 1798 ...The music as I as I recall was very traditional and quite beautiful

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sat April 25th, 2009, 4:24 am

Sounds like one to watch, Chuck. My daughter-in-law is a descendant of Liam Lynch, who was an Irish Republican Army general during the Black and Tan conflicts

The title comes from a 19th Century poem that tells of a young Irish boy who soon will leave his sweetheart to join others fighting the English in the 1798 rebellion. They would carry barley in their pockets as provisions on the march. When they were slain and their bodies pitched into unmarked mass graves by the English, from their bodies the sprouting barley came to symbolise that Irish resistance to the British would never die.

"I sat within the valley green, I sat me with my true love
My sad heart strove the two between, the old love and the new love
The old for her, the new that made me think on Ireland dearly
While soft the wind blew down the glen and shook the golden barley

'Twas hard the woeful words to frame to break the ties that bound us
But harder still to bear the shame of foreign chains around us
And so I said, "The mountain glen I'll seek at morning early
And join the bold united men," while soft winds shake the barley

While sad I kissed away her tears, my fond arms round her flinging
A yeoman's shot burst on our ears from out the wildwood ringing
A bullet pierced my true love's side in life's young spring so early
And on my breast in blood she died while soft winds shook the barley

I bore her to some mountain stream, and many's the summer blossom
I placed with branches soft and green about her gore-stained bosom
I wept and kissed her clay-cold corpse then rushed o'er vale and valley
My vengeance on the foe to wreak while soft wind shook the barley

But blood for blood without remorse I've taken at Oulart Hollow
And laid my true love's clay cold corpse where I full soon may follow
As round her grave I wander drear, noon, night and morning early
With breaking heart when e'er I hear the wind that shakes the barley."

It has been put to music and has been sung by various artists- here's one version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv4woavn00U

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat April 25th, 2009, 4:24 am

"Grey Gardens". Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange were amazing as Big Edie Bouvier Beale and Little Edie. They were the aunt and first cousin of Jackie O.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”