Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun March 29th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Haven't seen Shaun of the Dead. Only thing I actively disliked about Hot Fuzz was the gore. Really unneccessary. I can see how a 22 year old would love that.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sun March 29th, 2009, 9:25 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:Haven't seen Shaun of the Dead. Only thing I actively disliked about Hot Fuzz was the gore. Really unneccessary. I can see how a 22 year old would love that.

He can take or leave the gore generally - although he's a lot more tolerant than I am, but he loved the humour in it! He has a different SOH to me though.
I've just caught on TV The Man Who Knew Too Little and have laughed aloud. Now that to me is extremely funny. Then again son was watching and he loved it too, so I guess we have an overlap. :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon March 30th, 2009, 10:57 am

Watched "The Invasion" last night, yet another version of "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers", OK but nothing special, been done so many times it's getting pretty boring now.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Mon March 30th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Whoa.....Watched disk one...."I Remember Nelson".....Really disappointing.....Reminded me of a very bad Soap Opera.....everything about it was stiff....I truly hope somebody can Redux the Lord Nelson's story....I think it needs telling.....I remember watching "Master and Commander" and loved watching the ships, naval action etc......BTW....rumour has it they are production planning for a planned sequel...."Post Capitain"....
Last edited by chuck on Mon March 30th, 2009, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 2:41 pm

Watched Disc I..."Sword of Honor" WWII...adapted from a series of books by Evelyn Waugh....really impressive....has satirical/sardonic edge, not much action....the story is really quite interesting....stars Daniel Craig
Last edited by chuck on Fri April 3rd, 2009, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 4:52 pm

Yes! I love good films almost as much as I love a good HF book......Turner Classic Movies are starting to show 1934 "The Count of Monte Cristo".....The best film version....starring Robert Donat....In beautiful Black and White, great soundtrack and overall acting is outstanding.....Can't wait to kick back and watch this gem.....

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 7:07 pm

"chuck" wrote:Watched Disc I..."Sword of Honor" WWII...adapted from a series of books by Evelyn Waugh....really impressive....has satirical/sardonic edge, not much action....the story is really quite interesting....stars Daniel Craig

Oh yes I remember that :D A few years old now I think...way before Craig found fame playing Bond...I think he was criticised at the time for not being posh enough for the role!

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 10:10 pm

I'm easily impressed with your British accents.....Other than the bad hair; the slick down cowl lick look didn't help him.....But dashing with the uniform on ....Definitely had the Bond thing working...even then.....BTW I think you Brits always had better looking Military uniforms.....except for the pith helmets.....

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 10:25 pm

"chuck" wrote:I'm easily impressed with your British accents.....Other than the bad hair; the slick down cowl lick look didn't help him.....But dashing with the uniform on ....Definitely had the Bond thing working...even then.....BTW I think you Brits always had better looking Military uniforms.....except for the pith helmets.....

LOL :D What can I say? :p

Daniel Craig's a very good actor, but I still think Clive Owen would have made a better Bond. ;)

Just watched Knowing. This is a film people are either going to love or hate. I went into it with low expectations - thought it was going to be another National Treasure. Well it was a lot better than that, and the action set-pieces were stunning. But the ending, while beautifully done, totally spoilt the film for me.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat April 4th, 2009, 3:12 am

"chuck" wrote:Watched Disc I..."Sword of Honor" WWII...adapted from a series of books by Evelyn Waugh....really impressive....has satirical/sardonic edge, not much action....the story is really quite interesting....stars Daniel Craig

I'll have to pass that on to my DH, it sounds like a series he'd love (if he hasn't watched it already!)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”