Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri March 6th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Just finished " Room Murder The Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes" pt. 1 & 2....Filmed in 2000....If your a fan of Victorian London, Edinburgh and the Sherlock Holmes/Doyle beginnings....Excellent renditions, compelling stories and plots, scenes, costumes, production, and tremendous acting from all....Highly recommend....Watch all of them, including the pilot.... you won't be disappointed

Richard
Reader

Marie Antionette (film, 2006)

Postby Richard » Fri March 6th, 2009, 4:11 pm

The 2006 "Marie Antionette" .... I wasn't particularly impressed. The costumes and room dressings at Versailles were great visual candy, but the few attempts at historical context were awfully flat. We had two scenes of Louis XVI ordering money for the American Revolution in a near monotone, and a mad rush at the end cramming in several years, two births and the death of one child. They need not have bothered! If you're going to make it about Antionette's frivolous detatchment, then stay detached... history should not be done half-arsed.

I will say that one scene was fanatastic: at the end, with the mob outside Versailles, the King and Queen have dinner. It's a recreation of the sumptuous and highly orchestrated meals from the first part of the movie - only now there is a skeleton staff, it's dark and lit with candles, and the servants follow every protocol with gusto even though the chamber musicians in the background have been replaced by the zombie-like howls of the mob outside.
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

User signature picture

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Sat March 7th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Last night I watched The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas. I thought the film was quite well done. The little boy Bruno was so protected from what was going on around him. His parents were very well portrayed in this regard. Just like any other parents concerned with the wellbeing of their children. And having read the book, I knew the ending.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun March 8th, 2009, 5:59 am

"The Usual Suspects"

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Sun March 8th, 2009, 9:04 pm

The Hiding Place

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun March 8th, 2009, 9:14 pm

we're watching Australia over dinner, a very laid back dinner and a movie since we're all groggy thanks to daylight savings.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon March 9th, 2009, 1:04 am

Family movie "Beverly Hills Chihuahua".

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Richard
Reader

Postby Richard » Mon March 9th, 2009, 2:01 am

Just watched "Watchmen". Wow. I won't go into details since this is the historical fiction and not the comic book forum, but I found it stunning and appropriately faithful to the graphic novel. Speaking as a writer of action scenes and an occasional theatrical fight choreographer, they did an amazing job with the violence. It actually looked plausible that an appropriately dedicated and ruthless human being could take on an entire street gang and win. But if you think you might be the least bit queasy seeing someone's giant blue glowing junk in every other scene, then this is not the movie for you.
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

User signature picture

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon March 9th, 2009, 2:03 am

"Giant blue glowing junk" huh? Must be Dr. Manhatten? They really show that? Oh my!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon March 9th, 2009, 3:17 am

I saw Hancock. It was better than I thought it would be.

Richard,
I heard that comicbook fans would love it but it doesnt have the general appeal of X men or Spider man etc etc.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”