Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

User avatar
EC2
Bibliomaniac
Location: Nottingham UK
Contact:

Postby EC2 » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 12:08 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:I ended up watching Vera Drake on TV last night. I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it, but it's quite compelling! Imelda Staunton is a very good actress.


I suppose 'enjoy' isn't quite the word for Vera Drake Vanessa! But you are so right about compelling. Imelda Staunton is superb. I have the film on DVD, but I've put it down somewhere and can't find it. I'd love to rewatch it though. It's one of those films with layers that can stand more than one viewing IMO
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

User avatar
Leyland
Bibliophile
Location: Travelers Rest SC

Postby Leyland » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 12:18 pm

I saw Taken yesterday starring Liam Neeson. Very intense and Neeson performs extremely well as a former CIA operative searching Paris for his missing daughter.

Would really you let your just-turned 17 year old daughter travel to another continent for weeks on her own with a 19 year old friend?
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Postby Susan » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 12:38 pm

On DVD last night Akeelah and the Bee.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

MissMarplestein
Reader
Location: Ormond Beach, Florida USA

Postby MissMarplestein » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 3:12 pm

"Leyland" wrote:I saw Taken yesterday starring Liam Neeson. Very intense and Neeson performs extremely well as a former CIA operative searching Paris for his missing daughter.

Would really you let your just-turned 17 year old daughter travel to another continent for weeks on her own with a 19 year old friend?


Does Liam ever make a bad movie??? lol

We just saw 'Wanted'...my husband raved about it, and it was okay, but very loud, and lots of killing. Morgan Freeman had a small part which is a shame, because I truly love his acting.

"I have dreamed thee too long,
never seen thee or touched thee
but known thee with all of my heart.
Half a prayer, half a song,
thou hast always been with me,
though we have been always apart." Man of LaMancha

MissMarplestein

chuck
Bibliophile
Location: Ciinaminson NJ

Postby chuck » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 4:43 pm

Watched a terrific BBC film last night....Dr. Bell and Mr. Doyle....Made in 2000, stars Ian Richardson, Robin Laing, and Charles Dance(excellent acting)....1878 Victorian London, beautifully filmed , lighting costumes and sets.....Really captured the times Doyle (Laing) a med student is enthralled with Dr. Bell a popular and lecturer regarding the methodology of Medical Deduction....Becomes Bell's Clerk.....Film is beautifully paced and laid out......You can see how Bell becomes a model for the Sherlock Holmes character and Doyle becomes Watson.....Great and complicated mystery ensues......This film is the first of of the "Murder Room" series pilot.....I hope I can get of Part 2 & 3....I was so impressed......

User avatar
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Contact:

Postby LoveHistory » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 5:54 pm

Mame. It was ok. Bea Arthur was great. Robert Preston's southern drawl was rather inconsistent.

Ash
Bibliomaniac
Location: Arizona, USA

Postby Ash » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 8:53 pm

"Leyland" wrote:Would really you let your just-turned 17 year old daughter travel to another continent for weeks on her own with a 19 year old friend?


I don't see why not if both are mature, independent and world aware. I'd want them calling me each day, but...I haven't seen this movie so I don't know if this description fits the characters. But I wouldn't just out and out deny them chance just because they are young (well remembering me at just 17, being put on a plane to volunteer on an Israeli Kibbutz. Excited, but hardly fitted for independent travel. Good thing I made friends easily, because my dad didn't exactly do his homework. But it was the experience of my lifetime. )

User avatar
Telynor
Bibliophile
Location: On the Banks of the Hudson

Postby Telynor » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 9:00 pm

"MissMarplestein" wrote:Does Liam ever make a bad movie??? lol

We just saw 'Wanted'...my husband raved about it, and it was okay, but very loud, and lots of killing. Morgan Freeman had a small part which is a shame, because I truly love his acting.


Well, Liam Neeson has -- _Krull,_ which has to be one of the most godawful films ever made, and _Seraphim Falls,_ which was interesting for the opening action sequence, but bombed after that.

Watched _Persepolis_ last night -- amazing film, and happily recommended. And finally finished up the first volume of _The King and I,_ a Korean historical drama that required seven discs and 21 hours to get through -- but hardly a dull moment in it.

User avatar
Volgadon
Compulsive Reader
Location: Israel
Contact:

Postby Volgadon » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 10:12 pm

"Ash" wrote:I don't see why not if both are mature, independent and world aware. I'd want them calling me each day, but...I haven't seen this movie so I don't know if this description fits the characters. But I wouldn't just out and out deny them chance just because they are young (well remembering me at just 17, being put on a plane to volunteer on an Israeli Kibbutz. Excited, but hardly fitted for independent travel. Good thing I made friends easily, because my dad didn't exactly do his homework. But it was the experience of my lifetime. )


Out of curiosity, which kibbutz was it?

User avatar
Volgadon
Compulsive Reader
Location: Israel
Contact:

Postby Volgadon » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 7:30 am

Lawrence of Arabia!


Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”