Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

TerriPray
Reader

Postby TerriPray » Tue January 13th, 2009, 9:14 am

Scarlet Pimpernel - mini series rather than a film.

Also re-watching an old BBC series, All Creatures Great and Small (thank god for netflix instant play)
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Tue January 13th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Last night I was in the mood to watch an old classic....John Ford"s "Drums Along the Mohawk" 1939 Technicolor, Claudette Colbert, Henry Fonda....and a terrific supporting cast.....Very inaccurate timeline, battles and such....Politically incorrect etc....with that said I still loved seeing it again.....Beautiful scenery, just a good all around feel gooooood movie.....Oddly it was filmed in parts of Utah.....For me personnally a sentimental ride........BTW....Dame Edna May Oliver stole the show, her portrayal of Mrs. McKlennar was brilliant......
Last edited by chuck on Tue January 13th, 2009, 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Tue January 13th, 2009, 6:37 pm

One of the Christmas presents I got was a box with the 6 first Tarzan films with Johnny Weissmuller, which is my favourite Tarzan :D
and we watched the first 2. Great ! I love some of the old movies :)

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri January 16th, 2009, 2:04 pm

ghosttown and my best friends girl, rotflmao!! both films were absolutely funny.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Fri January 16th, 2009, 4:22 pm

Journey to the Centre of the Earth Brendan Fraser style.
Very cheesy, very silly, but decent brain candy!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sat January 17th, 2009, 1:03 am

"EC2" wrote:Yes, the background wasn't half bad. I even half-smiled occasionally - like when the chorus line chaps were performing on the jetty in their flippers, but there was just so much cheese and ham in the performances and story line that you could have opened a delicatessen! I guess tastewise I'm not into 'feelgood frenetic'. I thought Meryl Streep's voice was okay, although nothing to write home about. Her 'daughter's' had me screwing up my face and flinching from the high notes. I know loads of people who have loved this to bits, but it's not for me.

I have a particular aversion to musicals -- which is weird because I love opera -- and despite the cast here, this is one film that will never get near my dvd player. Which is odd, because I really do like watching the three male leads in film -- I'll sit through the most godawful things to see Colin Firth or Brosnan or even Geoffrey Rush. Oh well.

I did get the review for the Duchess posted, it turned out much better than I thought it would. I suspect that Keira Knightley is going to be typecast for historical films forevermore.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Sat January 17th, 2009, 8:59 am

The Wrestler.

Brilliant movie.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat January 17th, 2009, 11:13 am

I watched Wall-E tonight. Thought it was pretty good. One of the things that I found interesting is how little actual dialogue there is through out the movie.
Last edited by diamondlil on Sat January 17th, 2009, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sat January 17th, 2009, 12:04 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:I watched Wall-E tonight. Thought it was pretty good. One of the things that I found interesting is how little actual dialogue there is through out the movie.

That's near the top of my order list from Love Film Diamondlil, I'll look forward to watching it!
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

chuck
Bibliophile

The Wrestler

Postby chuck » Sat January 17th, 2009, 3:54 pm

"Alaric" wrote:The Wrestler.

Brilliant movie.

I have heard the same thing about "The Wrestler"...I refuse to go see new releases because of the film audiences and their bad manners(BTW not all of them)....In the USA we pay up to $15.00 to see a film and then have to put up with people making comments about film....My wife thinks I'm rude when I tell them to be quiet....No shushing.... I tell them to stop.....so Today I will wait for the Netflix release and enjoy films at home....Am I the only one that demands quiet when watching a film at a theater?......Nice to see Mickey O'Rourke, acting again.... In some of his early roles he was outstanding....."Body Heat, Diner, and The Pope of Greenwich Village"
Last edited by chuck on Sat January 17th, 2009, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”