Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Two Houses by Fran Cooper
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sun January 11th, 2009, 11:52 am

We watched Iron Man last night. I enjoyed it - good for a disengage brain and enjoy the ride sort of evening! :)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Sun January 11th, 2009, 1:00 pm

I started watching The Other Boleyn Girl on a movie channel last night for the first time with scepticism. I made it to the point where Anne and Henry begin 'fighting' not long after Katherine tells Henry she'll only let the Pope decide about the validity of her marriage, but then I gave up and switched channels. Didn't read the book, couldn't get into the movie.

However, Kristin Scott Thomas was quite interesting to watch as Lady Boleyn, and the actor portraying her brother Thomas Howard, as well.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sun January 11th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Last night's DVD choice was The Duchess with Keira Knightley and Ralph Fiennes. It was much better than I thought it would be. Review forthcoming at Epinions. Not sure what will be next, probably something modern.

Christine Blevins
Scribbler

Postby Christine Blevins » Sun January 11th, 2009, 4:03 pm

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - a French (subtitled) movie about a man who suffers a stroke that results in "locked in syndrome". Paralyzed and without speech, but with full faculties of the mind intact, he proceeds to write his memoir by blinking one eye - the only part of his body he can move. True story!

I was worried that this movie would be depressing, but it turned out to be a very beautiful and moving film.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sun January 11th, 2009, 6:02 pm

Just been to see "Australia", enjoyed it once it got past the rather campy opening scenes, and Hugh Jackman is lovely!

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Mon January 12th, 2009, 12:27 pm

Watched half of Defiance and found it surprisingly uninvolving. :confused:

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Mon January 12th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Watched Mama Mia on DVD last night. Bleuuurggghhh!!!! I HATED IT! :( :(
I just wanted to take a boat out to sea and drown the entire cast... perhaps apart from Julie Walters. You get those books where you just want to smack the heroine to kingdom come? That was how I felt about Mama Mia. None of them could sing either. Needed ear plugs for Pierce Brosnan in particular. Brrrrrrr :(
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Mon January 12th, 2009, 5:37 pm

"EC2" wrote:Watched Mama Mia on DVD last night. Bleuuurggghhh!!!! I HATED IT! :( :(
INeeded ear plugs for Pierce Brosnan in particular. Brrrrrrr :(

I'm with ya, EC. I loved the Greek isle setting - made me think of Mary Stewart's Moonspinners so I just closed my ears to the singing as much as I could and watched the background! Meryl Streep can actually sing though.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Mon January 12th, 2009, 6:38 pm

"Leyland" wrote:I'm with ya, EC. I loved the Greek isle setting - made me think of Mary Stewart's Moonspinners so I just closed my ears to the singing as much as I could and watched the background! Meryl Streep can actually sing though.

Yes, the background wasn't half bad. I even half-smiled occasionally - like when the chorus line chaps were performing on the jetty in their flippers, but there was just so much cheese and ham in the performances and story line that you could have opened a delicatessen! I guess tastewise I'm not into 'feelgood frenetic'. I thought Meryl Streep's voice was okay, although nothing to write home about. Her 'daughter's' had me screwing up my face and flinching from the high notes. I know loads of people who have loved this to bits, but it's not for me.
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Tue January 13th, 2009, 1:40 am

Broadcast News (1987)