Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Mon August 19th, 2013, 1:11 am

I have been watching Merlin episodes.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce & The Poison Bed by E C Fremantle (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon August 19th, 2013, 12:52 pm

I'm going to see The Lone Ranger with my daughter later on this afternoon. I don't think it's got many good reviews, has it? I wonder what I will make of it even it does have Johnny Depp in it!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Mon August 19th, 2013, 4:33 pm

"DianeL" wrote:"The Trojan Women" with Bujold, Hepburn, Redgrave, and Papas ('71). Thoughts here. A remarkable production!

Saw this a year or so ago (also on Netflix for a while) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Your blog comments are spot on!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon August 19th, 2013, 5:51 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:I'm going to see The Lone Ranger with my daughter later on this afternoon. I don't think it's got many good reviews, has it? I wonder what I will make of it even it does have Johnny Depp in it!

We really enjoyed it, critics be danged!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Tue August 20th, 2013, 1:16 am

"fljustice" wrote:Saw this a year or so ago (also on Netflix for a while) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Your blog comments are spot on!

Faith, thank you very much - from you, I take that as praise and am grateful! :) It came at precisely the right moment; not the sort of movie you can watch when you're not in just the mood, is it?
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue August 20th, 2013, 4:32 am

I was dragged to see the second installment of the Percy Jackson franchise. I can't blame the script on the actors, but maybe they could try a little harder?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce & The Poison Bed by E C Fremantle (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue August 20th, 2013, 9:50 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:We really enjoyed it, critics be danged!

SM

Yes, we enjoyed it, too. I found it very entertaining. Loved Silver the horse!!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Tue August 20th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Toy Story for the first time in many years. :D
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Fri August 23rd, 2013, 1:48 pm

Stumbled upon the old 1960 film, 5 Branded Women, and watched it on Youtube (in English with Spanish subtitles; it's not available on DVD). I hadn't seen it since I was kid, but had never forgotten the scene where they cut the women's hair off for consorting with a German Lothario during WW2. I had also forgotten it took place in Yugoslavia (and not France, as my rusty memory thought).

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Fri August 23rd, 2013, 2:24 pm

I watched Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris on the plane coming home from Brussels, Luxembourg and Paris!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”