Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue December 30th, 2008, 2:49 pm

the dh and I saw Marley and Me. It reminded us so much of Doggers, our lab/dalmatian cross that we had for 14 years. He was a great 'therapy dog' when our house doubled as a transition home for women & children. But he was a massive embarrassment -- here I was being paid to train other people's animals (llamas) and my own dog was out of control! It turns out that while we were teaching min not to jump on people, one guest was letting him do upright full-body hugs -- and while we reprimanded him for getting on the couch, somebody else's kid was sleeping with Doggers in his bed -- and while I was trying to get him not to tug on the leash, the kids were encouraging him to pull them down the street on roller skates.
He jumped into any puddle and displaced half the water in every one of our stock tanks. Then he'd come splatter you.
He loved to run (the dalmatian side) and every time the gate/door was open, he was off just like Marley. We had to bail him out of the pound so many times we called Doggers the 'thousand dollar dog.'!

But he wasn't the world's worst dog. He was always alert to comfort any of the guests who were in emotional difficulty, especially kids who had been sexually abused. It got so I could make a pretty good guess on unspoken things just by watching Doggers relate to people. He was worth his weight in gold, and I miss him still.

Of course we cried.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue December 30th, 2008, 7:23 pm

My daughter went with a friend to see Twilight today. I dropped them off and picked them up afterwards (I did a bit of shopping in the sales!) as I didn't want to see it before reading the book!! She said she enjoyed it but a couple of bits had been changed - I didn't ask which bits!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed December 31st, 2008, 2:33 am

"Ron Howard: 50 Years In Film"....ok not strictly a movie but it was 2 hours of Ron talking about the movies he's directed, all of them except for "How The Grinch Stoled Christmas" and "Angels & Demons" which hasn't been released yet.

If you're thinking Ron is too young to have directed 50 years of films, you're right, the title refers to how long he's been in films, not just directing them. He did his first movie at 4 and he's now 54, at least at the time of the making of this documentary.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Wed December 31st, 2008, 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Wed December 31st, 2008, 4:54 am

He'd probably love to erase the Grinch from his record, so not surprised it wasn't mentioned. What a travesty. But I have loved many of his other movies, both directed and acted.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed December 31st, 2008, 4:56 am

"Ash" wrote:He'd probably love to erase the Grinch from his record, so not surprised it wasn't mentioned. What a travesty. But I have loved many of his other movies, both directed and acted.

Yes, I can understand why he left it out but he even talked about "Far and Away" which is not that great either!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

AuntiePam
Reader

Postby AuntiePam » Wed December 31st, 2008, 5:42 pm

Watched Iron Man last night. I liked it. For a superhero movie, it was calm and almost subtle. There's no reason to watch a second time though, so I'm kinda sorry I bought it instead of renting it, or waiting for it to come to TV.

Started watching There Will Be Blood -- now this one I will be rewatching.

Maggie
Reader

Postby Maggie » Thu January 1st, 2009, 9:15 am

Mamma Mia and I loved it.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Thu January 1st, 2009, 10:26 pm

Godfather II - again. SO just adores the Godfather :rolleyes:
Great movie tho...

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 1:10 am

The Duchess - enjoyed but sad.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 2:13 am

"nona" wrote:The Duchess - enjoyed but sad.

Ok you're the second person who has said that about "The Duchess"! I have it here from Netflix, and plan to watch this weekend.

We just watched "Ghost Town", funny but not excessively cute.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”