Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George & The Dark Angel by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri January 18th, 2013, 9:47 am

"sweetpotatoboy" wrote:Took my Mum to see Les Mis. She said it was the best film she'd ever seen.

I thought it was very good, but too long!!

Was everyone in the cinema crying? According, to the media :rolleyes: , audiences are practically inconsolable :o
Currently reading "A Suitable Vengeance" by Elizabeth George and "The Dark Angel" by Elly Griffiths

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Fri January 18th, 2013, 9:49 am

I really only cried at the end.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Fri January 18th, 2013, 9:52 am

"Madeleine" wrote:Was everyone in the cinema crying? According, to the media :rolleyes: , audiences are practically inconsolable :o

To be honest, we went in the middle of the day and there was hardly anybody there. My Mum got a bit sniffly, I think. I didn't well up but it was certainly moving at points. Mum said why did it have to be all so sad; I said the clue was in the title...

(The only films I remember crying at are Children of a Lesser God, Dead Poets' Society and ET!!)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George & The Dark Angel by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri January 18th, 2013, 11:38 am

Thanks SPB. Not for nothing is it nicknamed The Glums! A family friend always used to go and see the stage show when she felt she needed cheering up!
Currently reading "A Suitable Vengeance" by Elizabeth George and "The Dark Angel" by Elly Griffiths

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Fri January 18th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Not a movie (we don't appear to have a generic TV thread) but I just finished watching the first season of the Israeli original series of "In Treatment". I've seen bits of the American version and other international versions and they all appear to be almost verbatim translations of the Israeli original, though I imagine cultural references have had to be adapted.

45 half-hour episodes is a bit of a slog but it was superb and really gruelling. For those who've seen it, I think you'll know what I mean. My only gripe is that I kind of wished we'd stayed entirely in the clinic and not occasionally seen the patients and the therapist in outside scenes. For me, it reduced the powerful impact, but only moderately.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Fri January 18th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Woman in Black with Daniel Radcliffe. Way too many shots with the camera slowly pushing into closeups of Daniel's face and the requisite scary music whenever the Woman in Black showed up. Not as scary as it could have been.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Postby Nefret » Mon January 21st, 2013, 12:52 am

North and South with Richard Armitage. It was even better the third time.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Mon January 21st, 2013, 3:57 am

The Hobbit

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Postby Nefret » Wed January 23rd, 2013, 5:21 am

Stardust (great movie)
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Wed January 23rd, 2013, 5:22 pm

Game Change, an HBO movie about the 2008 election and McCain's choice of Sarah Palin for his vice-presidential running mate. No matter what your politics, Ed Harris as John McCain and Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin were brilliant!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

User signature picture

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”