Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Wolfshead
Scribbler

Postby Wolfshead » Sun September 30th, 2012, 2:51 pm

I saw DREDD 3D the day it came out and it was fantastic. Almost everything I could have wished for (being a fan of the comic for over 20 years).
I'm really disappointed it didn't do well in the USA, I was really hoping for sequels as it was really, really good with some fantastic performances. :( If you get a chance, please go and see it so I can see The Cursed Earth and the Dark Judges in some sequels!
User signature picture

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sun September 30th, 2012, 3:00 pm

Getting caught up.

The Three Musketeers (the new one) If you don't think of it as based on the original novel, it's a fun steampunk, alternate history romp. But if you're looking for the source material, this is just plain silly.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy with Gary Oldman and Colin Firth. This got great reviews and from a critics POV deserved it, but I found the story slow and plodding.

The Giant Mechanical Man, an offbeat romantic comedy; follows the formula, execution of the formula c+/b-
Last edited by fljustice on Sun October 7th, 2012, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sun October 7th, 2012, 3:16 am

Sabrina (circa 1954)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Mon October 8th, 2012, 1:11 pm

We've slowly been making our way through Band of Brothers on DVD. Two more episodes to go. It's very good. I've got the companion piece, The Pacific, in my rental queue but might need a break from war for a while.

Several weeks ago I started watching season one of the show Hell on Wheels. I really liked the first season. Last night was the finale of season two which I started watching on cable directly after finishing season one. Boy, did this series go off the rails! I wonder if they had a change of writers? They've dropped themes started in season one or let them fizzle out and what little progression they've made in season two turned out to be pointless. By the time they killed off one of the main characters in the finale I realized I just didn't care. Too bad, since it started out with such promise. I really have liked the music in this series, though. My favorite song from this season is the very haunting, folk tune Annabel by the Duhks. The band has posted the song for listening on their website.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon October 8th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Two of my favorite people came over last night and we watched "Wild Target" - a perfectly madcap British romp with Bill Nighy, Emily Blunt, and Ruperts Everett and Grint. Wonderful comedy to share with great friends!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Tue October 9th, 2012, 1:06 am

"DianeL" wrote:Two of my favorite people came over last night and we watched "Wild Target" - a perfectly madcap British romp with Bill Nighy, Emily Blunt, and Ruperts Everett and Grint. Wonderful comedy to share with great friends!

I've finally got around to watching the Larkrise to Candleford TV Boxsets of all 4 Seasons. I am now up to the last four episodes and I shall miss it once I am finished :( ...But I'll probably re-watch it next year :D

Bec :)

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Postby parthianbow » Tue October 9th, 2012, 3:45 pm

@Ludmilla: Yay that S1 of Hell on Wheels is so good! It was on my radar, but your post helped me to order it today (as a treat to self after reaching 100k words in current WIP). Band of Brothers is absolutely outstanding, and a personal fave, but I think you're wise to take a break before The Pacific - which is unrelenting in its savagery, and far more visceral than BoB. Many dislike it compared to BoB, but I thought it was excellent in a different way.

Saw Ironclad last night, with James Purefoy, who I like, and Paul Giamatti, who I also like. It's about Magna Carta, King John, knights and battles. Job done - or so I thought.

It was awful. Just dreadful. Avoid at all costs!
Last edited by parthianbow on Tue October 9th, 2012, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Postby Rowan » Tue October 9th, 2012, 4:53 pm

I saw Pitch Perfect (second time) and Looper over the weekend.

Both excellent films. Looper was filmed here in New Orleans, which I didn't know til the credits rolled by.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Tue October 9th, 2012, 9:30 pm

House on Haunted Hill

I saw Ironclad a few months ago. Forgot pretty much everything about it, but I liked looking at James Purefoy.
Last edited by Nefret on Tue October 9th, 2012, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Tue October 9th, 2012, 10:59 pm

"parthianbow" wrote:Saw Ironclad last night, with James Purefoy, who I like, and Paul Giamatti, who I also like. It's about Magna Carta, King John, knights and battles. Job done - or so I thought.

It was awful. Just dreadful. Avoid at all costs!

Hee - there is something wrong with me. This makes me want to watch it, it's been on my Neflix streaming queue for ages. :P
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”