Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sun September 9th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Warrior Queen (with River Song. Er, I mean Alex Kingston)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sat September 15th, 2012, 11:24 am

I watched the new Jane Eyre last night with Michael Fassbender and Mia Wotsaname (can't remember her name). I enjoyed it and thought it was true to the book.

I also watched the first episode of the new Dallas which was good fun.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sat September 15th, 2012, 5:14 pm

I'm enjoying Dallas, this week's ep (the 2nd) was a corker. Downton back tomorrow, and True Blood on Monday, yippee.
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Sat September 15th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Watched I, Confess with Montgomery Clift, which is an old Hitchcock film I hadn't seen before.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sat September 15th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Netflix had sent me "The Virgin Spring" before my summer went completely haywire, and it sat for a couple of months unregarded. I just couldn't do that film for a while, but did watch it a week or so ago. It's good; I liked it better than the other Bergman I've seen, and very good histfic too.

Yesterday, watched "The Postman Always Rings Twice" - almost sure I've seen it before, but it may have been *many* years ago, so it was fairly fresh. A good film, though I'm never as persuaded by Lana Turner's performances as I am by her looks. Costume design (for her), of course, was pretty on-the-nose, but it's a good film even with the layers-of-reversals gimmick going on.

"Dark Shadows" (c. 1966) has been ideal background noise for the final stages of my revisions. I hope to complete this work this week! Will re-query the Dream Agent very soon, and begin the real process of querying at large before my annual writer's conference. I may burn off a couple years worth of episodes getting back into this!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sun September 16th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Last of the American Gagsters festival yesterday--Ghost Busters. Very eighties!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon September 17th, 2012, 2:12 am

"Emma" (Paltrow)
"Iron Man 1"
"Iron Man 2"

And continuing the Paltrow movie fest of late, tonight we start "Possession".

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Mon September 17th, 2012, 2:24 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:I watched the new Jane Eyre last night with Michael Fassbender and Mia Wotsaname (can't remember her name). I enjoyed it and thought it was true to the book.

I also watched the first episode of the new Dallas which was good fun.

I watched Jane Eyre over the weekend myself. Having never read the book, I couldn't really relate. I don't think I was in the right mood to really appreciate this film the way that I was when I watched the last 25 minutes on TV a few weeks back. It was just really drawn out with very little action-a lot of long, blank stares that I suppose I would have understood better if I would have read the book.
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Mon September 17th, 2012, 2:36 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:And continuing the Paltrow movie fest of late, tonight we start "Possession". SM

One of my favorite actors. Have you seen her in the quirky little film Sliding Doors? (With John Hannah, better known to US audiences from the Mummy movies.) The movie has two parallel story lines where Paltrow plays a young woman whose life takes two very different paths based on whether she catches a train or not. Intriguing.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon September 17th, 2012, 11:36 pm

I have a friend who swears the best Jane Eyre is the one from 1973 (I think that's the year) with Michael Jayston as Rochester. I have to admit it's a darn good adaptation.

Sliding Doors is good.

Watched City Island. Really good little film. Nice to see Andy Garcia playing, essentially, a regular guy. Shows off his range nicely.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”