Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Thu August 30th, 2012, 12:31 pm

"Nefret" wrote:Pillars of the Earth

Mainly 'cause I was curious. (And I thought Henry I's daughter Maud was an adult at the time of the White Ship disaster.)

I watched the show earlier this year, shortly after reading EC's Lady of the English. The time inaccuracies in the show with Maud really bugged me. I don't recall if the book got me so upset. I'm just listing a basic chronology here - someone point out anything that needs corrections.

Maud was 18 when the White Ship sank in 1120 and she wasn't in England. (Did the show indicate she was? Can't recall?) She was still to married Holy Roman Emperor Henry V and in Germany. Her first husband died in 1125 and she lived in Normandy for a year before returning to England in 1126. She went back to Normandy in 1128 and married Geoffrey V of Anjou in June, 1128. Maud and Geoffrey didn't get along and she went to Normandy a year after the marriage (sometime in 1129). Maud's father Henry I summoned her to England in 1131 and it was decided that she should return to her husband. In March, 1133 Maud gave birth to the future Henry II in LeMans, France not in England as depicted in the show. While her husband led military campaigns to claim her Normandy lands, Maud stayed in Anjou. Her father Henry I died in Normandy in 1135 (did the show have him dying in England?) Henry I had gone there to see his two eldest grandsons.

Maud did not have enough military power to challenge King Stephen until 1139 and as far as I can tell did not return to England before this year. Her son Henry was first in England in 1142 at the age of 9. His father sent him there to live in a noble's household. He returned to Anjou a year or two later and did not return to England until 1147 when he was 14. He led several campaigns in England in the following years and became king in 1154 at the age of 21 upon the death of King Stephen.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Thu August 30th, 2012, 6:04 pm

In the show she was in England, and a still child. Sitting below Henry's throne, she offered to get married and have a son. {Some years later, in the same episode} Henry I called his grandson Henry II of England, and died after too many lampreys. It seemed like they were in England, with Maud and her husband (who the show didn't name).

I haven't read the Pillars book for years, so I don't remember if it portrayed the history right.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Thu August 30th, 2012, 6:59 pm

"Nefret" wrote:In the show she was in England, and a still child. Sitting below Henry's throne, she offered to get married and have a son. {Some years later, in the same episode} Henry I called his grandson Henry II of England, and died after too many lampreys. It seemed like they were in England, with Maud and her husband (who the show didn't name).

I haven't read the Pillars book for years, so I don't remember if it portrayed the history right.

Thanks! I remember starting to yell at the TV but thought I better not because it would disturb my husband. I don't recall what the novel did with the chronology either.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Postby Nefret » Sun September 2nd, 2012, 4:08 am

Richard III (circa 1983, I think)

I blame Blackadder and Horrible Histories.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun September 2nd, 2012, 8:57 pm

"Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol", fun fast paced action movie, increases my little crush on Jeremy Renner.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Postby Nefret » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 1:11 am

The Lion in Winter (1968)
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

laktor
Reader

Postby laktor » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 6:36 am

Just watched "Shame", with Michael Fassbender as a sex addict and Carey Mulligan as his sister. Very intense story. Well done.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 2:26 pm

Sleepwalk with Me--an autobiographical comedy (not documentary) about a stand-up comedian with a devastating sleep disorder where he acts out his dreams while he tries to get his comedy career off the ground. Ira Glass of This American Life co-wrote and produced the film. Touching and funny.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

laktor
Reader

Postby laktor » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 5:29 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:"Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol", fun fast paced action movie, increases my little crush on Jeremy Renner.

SM

Because during the original Mission Impossible tv series, in which I got completely lost about 1/3 of the way through any episode I tried to watch, I have never tried watching any of the Tom Cruise films. I'm just afraid the same thing would happen.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue September 4th, 2012, 2:29 am

"laktor" wrote:Because during the original Mission Impossible tv series, in which I got completely lost about 1/3 of the way through any episode I tried to watch, I have never tried watching any of the Tom Cruise films. I'm just afraid the same thing would happen.

I know what you mean, I didn't like what they did to Jim in the first movie. But I liked this one, the most of the ones I've seen.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”