Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Justin Swanton
Reader

Postby Justin Swanton » Mon August 27th, 2012, 6:00 am

Kingdom of Heaven. Excellent acting and cinematography, with the usual Catholic-bashing bias common to mediaeval era moviemaking (has anyone made a nice, cynical film about the Islamic conquests which were all done in the name of Allah?) The religious characters are spineless fanatics or amoral opportunists, and the good people only become good by offloading their religion and turning into philanthropists.

I was able to make abstraction of all that, however, and enjoyed the storyline - the lead up to the Battle of Hattin and the subsequent siege of Jerusalem.

Anyone know a mediaeval movie (besides the Cadfael series) in which the clergy are shown in a good light?
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Mon August 27th, 2012, 6:29 am

Stargate- The Ark of Truth

Because I loved the series.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Mon August 27th, 2012, 12:07 pm

On the flight home from Munich this past Saturday I watched The Descendants with George Clooney, episode 1 of season 2 of Game of Thrones (would have watched more, but that was the only episode available), and an interesting CNBC program called The Costco Craze which would be especially interesting to anyone who shops at Costco. We're heading to our Costco today. Here's a link to the Costco video: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000083053
Last edited by Susan on Mon August 27th, 2012, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon August 27th, 2012, 6:19 pm

"Nefret" wrote:At the moment... Lark Rise to Candleford. I'm starting to recognize a lot of the actors in BBC programs.

We're just about to start season three. Great show!

Watched Mr. Poppers Penguins and Paul. Both good. Loved the nod to Star Wars in Paul when agent Zoyle shoots the radio.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon August 27th, 2012, 8:52 pm

"Justin Swanton" wrote:Anyone know a mediaeval movie (besides the Cadfael series) in which the clergy are shown in a good light?

"Becket" leaps energetically to mind.

Not medieval, but the 2010 ABC series "Kings" was a fascinating foray into religion, a retelling of - of all things - the Book of Kings. Interestingly, the thing was produced with all the froth and excess of a prime time soap (a la "Dynasty" or one of those), but I liked it enough to buy the DVDs. The presumption of G-d's presence in these lives was clear, overt, and non-judgmental (well, except in G-d's own case - He has some privileges of course). The central figure in the religion there was one of the few characters not immersed in moral muck, and I was sorry not to see him explored further, when the series was canceled.

I've gotten into Season Six of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and though the maddening "let's have Deanna be raped/violated" eps do continue, the writing is pretty good at this point. I still will always prefer DS9 to TNG, but at least it got interesting in its final seasons.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Justin Swanton
Reader

Postby Justin Swanton » Tue August 28th, 2012, 11:20 am

"DianeL" wrote:"Becket" leaps energetically to mind.

True, I'd forgotten that one.

"DianeL" wrote:I've gotten into Season Six of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and though the maddening "let's have Deanna be raped/violated" eps do continue, the writing is pretty good at this point. I still will always prefer DS9 to TNG, but at least it got interesting in its final seasons.

Prefer film noir sci-fi myself for some reason: Pitch Black and Blade Runner. Pitch Black is actually a redemption story whereas Blade Runner is futility of existence stuff: if you live only four years what do you do? I like movies that provoke serious thinking even if I don't agree with the conclusions.
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Tue August 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Finished Lonesome Dove last night--was nostalgic after reading the book. Stands up over time.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue August 28th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Cowboys and Aliens - OK as a popcorn movie.
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Tue August 28th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Actually watched a histfic satire film last night - I enjoyed it, but not quite as much as a satire as for its eye candy-ness, which is itself of course part of the satire. http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/2012/08/jaw-dropping-entertainment.html

I don't know for sure whether I recommend it, but for those who don't mind a bit of a skewering of every possible trope known to (particularly Gothic and Victorian) period films, it might be a lot of fun. I have a feeling if I hadn't watched it alone I'd have enjoyed it even more, for chat-value and "oh no they didn't just do that" asides, but I did like it. As a writer, some of the opening scenes about the process of becoming published were a REAL scream.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Thu August 30th, 2012, 12:12 am

Pillars of the Earth

Mainly 'cause I was curious. (And I thought Henry I's daughter Maud was an adult at the time of the White Ship disaster.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”