Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon August 20th, 2012, 11:48 pm

Being a Trek nerd (watching TNG right now!), and loving DS9 best, I'll have to look up Siddig's go at Hannibal - thank you, Justin!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Tue August 21st, 2012, 1:43 am

"DianeL" wrote:Being a Trek nerd (watching TNG right now!), and loving DS9 best, I'll have to look up Siddig's go at Hannibal - thank you, Justin!

I watched Carnage :rolleyes: a screaming, ranting Jodie Foster(who knew she could SHRIEK!) And Kate Winslet doing the mother of all barfs :rolleyes: ....It was about an hour and ten minutes too long :D

Bec :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue August 21st, 2012, 11:46 pm

Been watching Black Adder. Just finished the third one. Good stuff. I think it gets funnier as it goes. Hugh Laurie makes such a great idiot. And the Black Adder Christmas Carol was delightful.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Wed August 22nd, 2012, 1:34 am

I was just watching Blackadder, as well. Great minds think alike.

Now I'm watching Rome.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Justin Swanton
Reader

Postby Justin Swanton » Wed August 22nd, 2012, 8:41 am

"DianeL" wrote:Being a Trek nerd (watching TNG right now!), and loving DS9 best, I'll have to look up Siddig's go at Hannibal - thank you, Justin!

One can download the entire movie from youtube - something of course which I would never recommend. :rolleyes:
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Wed August 22nd, 2012, 10:50 pm

Justin - noted. Heh.

Nefret and LH, the DVDs are really inexpensive for the whole series, and I much enjoyed some of the extras. Edition I got (year and a half ago) includes the Christmas Carol and also the Millennium piece, both a lot of fun. Some of the interviews are excellent, and Tony Robinson's extras are interesting (I liked him a lot and came away from all the interviews and his work liking him more - Tony was the one cast member not blessed with the hallowed, highbrow educations the other gents were sporting, so he really lived in relation to the actors in some similarity to the relations between the roles everyone played).

I always seem to have more than one series to go to on streaming, and have been burning off quick eps of very early (1966) Dark Shadows. It's rather endearing watching the actors stumble and hesitate badly over their lines in places, but the series - slow moving as it inevitably is - keeps you going because each show is so short. It does grow on you.

Also still making my way through Upstairs Downstairs, as well as various Trek (always). Last ep of that was the suffragette jailing one - I was astounded how harrowing that was! Jean Marsh is divinity.

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Wed August 22nd, 2012, 11:31 pm

At the moment... Lark Rise to Candleford. I'm starting to recognize a lot of the actors in BBC programs.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Thu August 23rd, 2012, 3:50 pm

Celeste & Jesse Forever a fun comedy about a perfect breakup by best friends/couple that isn't so perfect. One of the things I liked about the movie is that the men Celeste dates in the aftermath are mostly nice guys with a sensitivity that you don't normally see in this type of movie (usually they're jerks played for laughs.)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sat August 25th, 2012, 3:43 pm

It's really dark and rainy outside, and I'm enjoying "The Kennel Murder Case" (1934, William Powell and Mary Astor). In the mood for 30s films today, I may tool around some fun pre-code stuff if I can find it on streaming. :)

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sun August 26th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Took our daughter out for dinner and a movie for her last night before returning to college. We saw Some Like It Hot. She didn't sit with us, but I heard her laughing in the back, so she must have enjoyed it. The writing, acting and directing still stand up after all these years. "Nobody's perfect!"
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

User signature picture

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”