Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Tue June 19th, 2012, 1:49 am

"Brenna" wrote:We watched "The Iron Lady" over the weekend. I love Meryl Streep and I thought she did an amazing job. However, I was a bit disappointed that I didn't see more of the "Iron Lady" but rather the poor, senile, confused, woman. I know it worked for some people, but I was a bit sad for her. After all of the things she did for her country, that is now how I would want to be remembered.


I thought the same thing. Meryl deserved her Oscar but I wanted more of the old Maggie and her battles with the Unions would have been interesting instead o the whole wandering around her apartment talking to her dead husband. It's a good movie but not something that I could watch again.

Bec :)

User avatar
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac
Location: Vashon, WA
Contact:

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue June 19th, 2012, 2:11 am

"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows", great movie, enjoyed it a lot, hope there's more!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac
Location: Arizona, USA

Postby Ash » Tue June 19th, 2012, 3:35 pm

"rebecca" wrote:I thought the same thing. Meryl deserved her Oscar but I wanted more of the old Maggie and her battles with the Unions would have been interesting instead o the whole wandering around her apartment talking to her dead husband. It's a good movie but not something that I could watch again.

Bec :)


She may have been good, but I still think Michelle Williams was robbed. Her portrayal of Marilyn Monroe was one of the most complex of any film biography I've seen. I never really got what the big deal was about Monroe, until after seeing that movie. She really should have gotten that Oscar.

If you see one movie this summer, see Moonrise Kingdom. Filled with an all star cast (Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand) the top stars are these two preteens who have never acted in a movie before. Very much a movie for readers, Its a coming of age movie thats quite funny and poignant, without being sappy. Warning - some suspension of disbelief is required.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Wed June 20th, 2012, 12:53 am

"Ash" wrote:She may have been good, but I still think Michelle Williams was robbed. Her portrayal of Marilyn Monroe was one of the most complex of any film biography I've seen. I never really got what the big deal was about Monroe, until after seeing that movie. She really should have gotten that Oscar.

If you see one movie this summer, see Moonrise Kingdom. Filled with an all star cast (Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand) the top stars are these two preteens who have never acted in a movie before. Very much a movie for readers, Its a coming of age movie thats quite funny and poignant, without being sappy. Warning - some suspension of disbelief is required.


I haven't seen 'My Week With Marilyn' yet, but I will very soon now it is out on DVD. I also didn't know about Moonrise Kingdom I will take a look at the cover and blurb but am not a great fan of Bruce Willis.

Bec :)

User avatar
fljustice
Bibliophile
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Postby fljustice » Wed June 20th, 2012, 2:58 pm

"rebecca" wrote:I haven't seen 'My Week With Marilyn' yet, but I will very soon now it is out on DVD. I also didn't know about Moonrise Kingdom I will take a look at the cover and blurb but am not a great fan of Bruce Willis.

Bec :)


This is not a "typical" Bruce Willis film...he plays a slightly dim-witted, but good-hearted local police officer. The real stars are the two young actors. The movie is set in 1967 and reflects a lot of the values of those times. Kids have a lot of freedom, scouts and church groups are central to the community, adults smoke. A lot of nostalgia for me -- the kids are about the same age I was then.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Postby Susan » Wed June 20th, 2012, 8:54 pm

On a hot first day of summer, we went to the movies and saw "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel." It has a wonderful cast including Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Penelope Wilton, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy, and Dev Patel (from "Slumdog Millionaire.") I had watched the entire second season of "Downton Abbey" over the past few days (DVRed 6 months ago!) and had been quite accustomed to seeing Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess and Penelope Wilton as Isobel Crawley.

The film is based upon a book These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach which I may now read. Interestingly, Penelope Wilton's character was reading a book throughout the film, Tulip Fever, which I have discovered is also by Deborah Moggach.

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thebestexoticmarigoldhotel/
Last edited by Susan on Wed June 20th, 2012, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac
Location: Arizona, USA

Postby Ash » Wed June 20th, 2012, 10:50 pm

The film is based upon a book These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach which I may now read. Interestingly, Penelope Wilton's character was reading a book throughout the film, Tulip Fever, which I have discovered is also by Deborah Moggach


Hee, I was wondering what she was reading...clever.

I agree about Bruce Willis's character - he's more like the guy from Sixth Sense than any of his action flicks. Very good acting

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Thu June 21st, 2012, 3:08 am

"Ash" wrote:Hee, I was wondering what she was reading...clever.

I agree about Bruce Willis's character - he's more like the guy from Sixth Sense than any of his action flicks. Very good acting


I will keep a look out for Moonrise Kingdom in that I really did like Sixth Sense. I remember those days too where a child could follow the Salvo's(I'd be banging a sauce pan lid with a spoon :p )and have a great time and then there was also the go-kart making and catching tad poles....I think we had more fun then that what kids enjoy now.

And I cant wait to see "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel." It has all my fave actors! :D

Bec :)

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Postby Susan » Sat June 30th, 2012, 8:02 pm

"fljustice" wrote:This is not a "typical" Bruce Willis film...he plays a slightly dim-witted, but good-hearted local police officer. The real stars are the two young actors. The movie is set in 1967 and reflects a lot of the values of those times. Kids have a lot of freedom, scouts and church groups are central to the community, adults smoke. A lot of nostalgia for me -- the kids are about the same age I was then.


Just came back from seeing Moonrise Kingdom and I agree about how nostalgic it was. I was also about the same age as the kids in the film at that time. My husband said he's like to see it again just to notice all the visual references. My descriptive phrase for the film is weirdly enchanting.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

User avatar
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime
Location: Essex/London

Postby Madeleine » Sun July 1st, 2012, 12:52 pm

"Susan" wrote:On a hot first day of summer, we went to the movies and saw "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel." It has a wonderful cast including Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Penelope Wilton, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy, and Dev Patel (from "Slumdog Millionaire.") I had watched the entire second season of "Downton Abbey" over the past few days (DVRed 6 months ago!) and had been quite accustomed to seeing Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess and Penelope Wilton as Isobel Crawley.

The film is based upon a book These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach which I may now read. Interestingly, Penelope Wilton's character was reading a book throughout the film, Tulip Fever, which I have discovered is also by Deborah Moggach.
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thebestexoticmarigoldhotel/


yes I noticed that too. Apparently TF is also supposedly in movie development, although I remember reading about that years ago, when the book first came out. Perhaps with the success of "Marigold" it might actually get made this time round! :rolleyes:
Currently reading "Heavenfield" by L J Ross & "Lost for Words" by Stephanie Butland


Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”