Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue April 10th, 2012, 8:57 am

"Justin Swanton" wrote:Started watching Warhorse but jumped ship after that ploughing scene at the beginning. British prewar peasantry were not emotionally charged, dreamy, idealistic types who uttered profound platitudes when they were not gazing into the distance.

But that's just a first impression of course.

Haven't seen play or film but that sounds like a classic Spielberg touch, which is one of the reasons why I've really gone off his later films.
Currently reading "Heavenfield" by L J Ross & "Lost for Words" by Stephanie Butland

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed April 11th, 2012, 1:32 am

"Justin Swanton" wrote: British prewar peasantry were not emotionally charged, dreamy, idealistic types who uttered profound platitudes when they were not gazing into the distance.

I'm sure there were one or two who were like that.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Wed April 11th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Pretty much goes along with what my very disappointed husband said about this movie: "Black Beauty Goes to War".

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun April 15th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Thor. Definitely brain candy. Chris Hemsworth was impressive.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sun April 15th, 2012, 10:21 pm

I rather liked Thor, it made me want to read comics and Norse mythology.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sun April 15th, 2012, 11:00 pm

I watched Thor last weekend, and it wasn't even candy to me. It's odd, because I like the Marvel movies generally, but this one I could not remember the minute it was over.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Mon April 16th, 2012, 1:58 am

We watched Changing Lanes with Ben Affleck and Samuel L Jackson.

Pretty good....a bit like Sliding Doors for the blokes.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Postby SGM » Mon April 16th, 2012, 5:24 am

"Justin Swanton" wrote:Started watching Warhorse but jumped ship after that ploughing scene at the beginning. British prewar peasantry were not emotionally charged, dreamy, idealistic types who uttered profound platitudes when they were not gazing into the distance.

But that's just a first impression of course.

Huh. I'm not used to hearing the term peasanty in a British context in the 20th century probably to do with changes in land tenure in the 17th century, enclosure and major migration to urban life in the centuries that followed.

So it's a term that we tend not to use in the UK for so late a period. Maybe it's just us.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Justin Swanton
Reader

Postby Justin Swanton » Mon April 16th, 2012, 5:48 am

Watched Moby Dick last night. An all-star cast who did their best, but somehow the balloon was out of air about halfway through the movie (though it is worth watching to the end). It convinces me more than ever that a megabuck budget, hi-tech effects and decades of filming experience do not improve the ability to tell a good story. The director either has it or he hasn't.

Which is good news for us novelists. :)

Also watched Puss in Boots. Oh dear!
Last edited by Justin Swanton on Mon April 16th, 2012, 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: oh, just being pedantic
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Justin Swanton
Reader

Postby Justin Swanton » Mon April 16th, 2012, 11:15 am

"DianeL" wrote:I watched Thor last weekend, and it wasn't even candy to me. It's odd, because I like the Marvel movies generally, but this one I could not remember the minute it was over.

Chaps with big axes chopping up a lot of blue guys. They then all come to earth and look like they're auditioning for the part.
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”