Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat March 31st, 2012, 2:38 pm

"fljustice" wrote:Robin Hood, 1991 version with Uma Thurman as Marion. I wondered how I missed it when it came out, watched and understood it must of sunk like a stone.

Actually I think this was much better than the Costner movie, as much as I enjoyed watching that one several times(Rickman rules, and the song is one of my all time favorite ballads). This one wasn't as flashy, but the characters were much more complex, and what they did at the end was simple and sweet (you make the bees in my breast buzz....) Plus, this Robin had an English accent....Costners attempt was laughable - that being said, I generally don't like him as an actor.

Reminds me, there is the spoof 'Robin Hood Men in Tights' when RH says 'at least I have an English accent!'

Going to see Mirror Mirror this pm and hope it isn't as bad as the reviews say!
Last edited by Ash on Sat March 31st, 2012, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sat March 31st, 2012, 3:06 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:I saw it in London, at a screening through work, I think there have been a few previews around London. What did your hubby think of it?

He liked it, but thought the Asperger's diagnosis for the the Ewan McGregor character was a stretch.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon April 2nd, 2012, 8:20 pm

The Illusionist. Put it on the Netflix list because I thought it was something else. Really liked it though. Didn't see that last twist coming, which is unusual for me.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 1:39 pm

Hubby and I went to see Hunger Games over the weekend. It stayed true to the book and the actors were true reflections of the characters.

"Ash" wrote:Actually I think this was much better than the Costner movie, as much as I enjoyed watching that one several times(Rickman rules, and the song is one of my all time favorite ballads). This one wasn't as flashy, but the characters were much more complex, and what they did at the end was simple and sweet (you make the bees in my breast buzz....) Plus, this Robin had an English accent....Costners attempt was laughable - that being said, I generally don't like him as an actor.

Reminds me, there is the spoof 'Robin Hood Men in Tights' when RH says 'at least I have an English accent!'

Going to see Mirror Mirror this pm and hope it isn't as bad as the reviews say!

What did you think of Mirror, Mirror? I'm thinking of asking hubby to go see that this weekend. Two movies back to back weekend; I don't think we've ever done that!

"LoveHistory" wrote:The Illusionist. Put it on the Netflix list because I thought it was something else. Really liked it though. Didn't see that last twist coming, which is unusual for me.

That was one of my favorites along with The Prostige
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 2:10 pm

I really enjoyed The Prestige, but haven't seen The Illusionist.
Currently reading "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Wed April 4th, 2012, 4:57 am

What did you think of Mirror, Mirror? I'm thinking of asking hubby to go see that this weekend. Two movies back to back weekend; I don't think we've ever done that!

Dull story, with cardboard characters dressed up in pretty costumes. You heard all the best jokes on the trailer. Skip this one.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed April 4th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Catlow. It was ok. Good cast. Really good music.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Wed April 4th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Saw Hunger Games over the weekend. Shoot. Now I have to read the books! Had a meeting last night, so didn't have my usual "primary widow movie night." Actually running out of Netflix choices. :(
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

User signature picture

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri April 6th, 2012, 3:36 pm

"Ash" wrote:Dull story, with cardboard characters dressed up in pretty costumes. You heard all the best jokes on the trailer. Skip this one.
I should have read this before wasting my time/money. It was trying to be campy, and Julia Roberts and the guy they had as the prince might have pulled off their roles, but Snow White took herself so seriously it killed it. Besides, I'm afraid I couldn't get into the earnest stupidity that an unskilled girl should be able to best a physically superior, trained and fit young man at sword-play.

If the screenplay writer had decided to make fun of political correctness, a la the politically correct fairy tales, they might have saved it.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Fri April 6th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Just saw The Hunger Games. My husband and I both liked it and thought it was faithful to the book. A trailer for Dark Shadows was shown/ OMG!!! It's been turned into a comedy...not sure if this Dark Shadows fan from way back when can tolerate that, but then again the original show was sometimes unintentionally comedic.
Last edited by Susan on Fri April 6th, 2012, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”