Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 1:04 am

"fljustice" wrote:Jeff, Who Lives at Home, a quirky little film which preaches, "There are no coincidences." Also took my daughter to see Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D yesterday. Why did this need to be in 3D? $$$$

No movie ever needs to be in 3D. I refuse to see 3D films. Of course I don't get to the theater much anyway, so it's not like I'm saving much money.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 2:11 am

"LoveHistory" wrote:No movie ever needs to be in 3D. I refuse to see 3D films. Of course I don't get to the theater much anyway, so it's not like I'm saving much money.

Hear Hear!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 2:40 am

I saw Megamind in 3D. They did it well, it was good movie too.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 10:24 am

"fljustice" wrote:Jeff, Who Lives at Home, a quirky little film which preaches, "There are no coincidences." Also took my daughter to see Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D yesterday. Why did this need to be in 3D? $$$$

It was bad enough in 2D! :eek:

I agree 3D is somewhat over-used, to say the least; having said that I may give in and see The Hobbit in 3D, I think that's one movie where it will be done well.
Currently reading "Heavenfield" by L J Ross & "Lost for Words" by Stephanie Butland

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 2:30 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:No movie ever needs to be in 3D.

I've seen several animated features that benefit from 3D, but not much in the live action. Most seem to be jumping on the bandwagon only to charge more money. However, I did hear someone say, the studios like 3D because it makes it impossible for pirates to film the movie as it's being shown. I actually saw a horrible YouTube clip from the last Harry Potter of the "epilog" scene someone had filmed in the theater--a blurry mess!
Last edited by fljustice on Fri March 23rd, 2012, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 10:22 pm

I am old enough to have seen the MGM musical Kiss me Kate in 3D and the first one, Bwana Devil with Robert Stack (in the film, not with me). Other than ducking on reflex from a spear tossed at the screen from the latter, it was no big deal in the early 1950s after the first experience. If I remember correctly, House of Wax also was in 3D.

I am still awaiting the Huxley Brave New World Feelies. ;)
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 8:28 pm

Love Kiss Me Kate! Wouldn't want to watch it in 3D though.

Watched Tammy and the Bachelor last night. Sweet movie. Pretty song. Leslie Nielsen wasn't half-bad to look at back then. Quite a change from the goofball I've known him as for my whole life.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat March 24th, 2012, 7:32 am

Just saw the Hunger Games. Very good adaptation of the book--it had me riveted, even though I'm not much of an action-movie watcher.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon March 26th, 2012, 12:09 am

Roger Ebert hates 3D and I've often seen him link, refer to, and publicize articles and stats that basically point out the scientific irrelevancy of 3D technology to the way the human eye works, or the PITA issues with how much darker the 3D filmic experience is, in terms of the illumination of the images on the screen.

I'd agree that there's all but no reason for it in its current state, but money - though I've heard more than once what Faith says, too, that animation *can* use the tech to its best advantage.

I fired up "Upstairs Downstairs" on streaming this past week, recorded an excellent "Frontline" on The Vaccine Wars, and today hit up "Star Trek: Insurrection" with the DVR too. I'd bet there are people who find that list a bit scattershot, but for me this is par for the course. Heh.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon March 26th, 2012, 1:43 am

my week with Marilyn.

I thought it was Okay. Michelle Williams did a decent job of capturing MM, but it still wasn't her, well obviously.

I often wonder how much of the story was embellished.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”