Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Postby wendy » Tue January 24th, 2012, 2:53 pm

Saw WAR HORSE at the weekend. Really enjoyed the first two thirds but then it got "Hollywood sappy" and ended up too sentimental for my taste. The rural settings were gorgeous, the war scenes - for the most part - seemed plausible, but then they went and spoiled it all with the unrealistic ending. Loved the music and the horses were amazing.
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Tue January 24th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Underworld:Awakening last Friday. Stephen Rea is always a favorite for me!! The storyline was extremely interesting/surprising and not just more of the same when compared to the first Underworld and then Evolution, which all follow a future sequence of events (versus Rise of the Lycans).
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Tue January 24th, 2012, 11:46 pm

"Leyland" wrote:Underworld:Awakening last Friday. Stephen Rea is always a favorite for me!! The storyline was extremely interesting/surprising and not just more of the same when compared to the first Underworld and then Evolution, which all follow a future sequence of events (versus Rise of the Lycans).

Oh I am looking forward to seeing Underworld Awakening...It's about the only vampire/werewolf movies I like and its great that Stephen Rea is in it...He has the face of a melancholic poet, but the man can act!

The Underworld franchise certainly beats Twilight. :D

Bec :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat January 28th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Spring Breakdown. Some funny moments but kind of a waste of time. Good cast though. Jane Lynch was really good, as always.

Fired Up. Much funnier than I thought it would be and surprisingly unoffensive for being the unrated version.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sun January 29th, 2012, 2:09 am

Mists of Avalon

Trying to fit nearly 900 pages into three hours. Still, I liked the Isle of Avalon.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sun January 29th, 2012, 3:17 am

Ride With the Devil- seems pretty timely given that the subject of jayhawkers just came up. I thought it worked pretty well. I see that it's based on Daniel Woodrell's novel Woe To Live On. I'm going to track down a copy- I thought Woodrell's Winter's Bone one of the best pieces of writing Ive come across for a long time.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sun January 29th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Hugo; great cast and art direction, some magical moments, loved the young girl who likes to use new words she picks up in her reading, lots of closeups of adorable large-eyed children. Made me want to get the book.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun January 29th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Life As We Know It. Really good actually.

What Happens in Vegas. Predictable but not as bad as I expected. It wasn't just all cheap laughs.

Going to see Joyful Noise this afternoon with my mother and two sisters. I shall report back. Last time we all went out together Jenny had me gasping for breath with her hysterically funny narration of the Water for Elephants trailer.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Sun January 29th, 2012, 8:05 pm

Hubby and I watched Real Steel last night. Hugh Jackman did a great job even with a story that was quite predictable.

Now the LOTR extended edition blu-ray. Considering it's 3 in the afternoon here, I don't think we will get through all 3 today.
Brenna

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sun January 29th, 2012, 9:56 pm

"Brenna" wrote:
Now the LOTR extended edition blu-ray. Considering it's 3 in the afternoon here, I don't think we will get through all 3 today.

That's a long afternoon. Make sure to get plenty of popcorn. :D
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”