Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sat December 20th, 2008, 2:32 pm

"EC2" wrote:I never listen to the pundits because they're nearly always up their own fundaments. Self and dh have frequently loved films that have been panned, but then I guess, to paraphrase A.A. Milne, we are bears of very little wit. I'm looking forward to seeing Australia. It's on my film TBR.

It's not so much about the film being panned, the point that I was making is that its supposed to be historically inaccurate - don't we have a long and moaning thread about this somewhere? :p Or are we only bothered when its our personal history bugbears are being rode over roughshod by the film industry (to mix a very weird metaphor)? ;)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sat December 20th, 2008, 5:39 pm

"Leo62" wrote:It's not so much about the film being panned, the point that I was making is that its supposed to be historically inaccurate - don't we have a long and moaning thread about this somewhere? :p Or are we only bothered when its our personal history bugbears are being rode over roughshod by the film industry (to mix a very weird metaphor)? ;)

Ummmm - yes, I think that's exactly it. Which is why I'd explode at Braveheart but couldn't give a stuff if it's outside my period of awareness. :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sat December 20th, 2008, 6:14 pm

"EC2" wrote:Ummmm - yes, I think that's exactly it. Which is why I'd explode at Braveheart but couldn't give a stuff if it's outside my period of awareness. :D

LOL yes Braveheart was so wrong in so many ways. I particularly appreciated the way they had William Wallace father Edward III - not! :eek:

The one that got me the most on that front was "300". I know lots of people really liked it and it wasn't supposed to be realistic, but it really got my goat. I think because I'd read "Gates of Fire" not that long before and it made a very powerful impression on me.

Funnily enough, I really like "A Knight's Tale" (which is on TV tonight), which is blatantly and deliberately anachronistic. I guess because it's done with such tongue-in-cheek verve, I can forgive it the Queen/David Bowie soundtrack...

Sheramy
Reader

Postby Sheramy » Sat December 20th, 2008, 7:24 pm

I saw Australia over Thanksgiving weekend. It was a little corny, but I love Baz Luhrmann and Nicole Kidman -- I wasn't going to miss it. Overall I thought it was enjoyable. A good old fashioned epic film. In fact, I felt like Luhrmann was deliberately being corny as an homage to that style of film. It seemed on purpose, somehow.

The little boy was adorable. And Hugh Jackman...just try to describe him without using the word 'hunk.'
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sat December 20th, 2008, 7:30 pm

"Leo62" wrote:LOL
Funnily enough, I really like "A Knight's Tale" (which is on TV tonight), which is blatantly and deliberately anachronistic. I guess because it's done with such tongue-in-cheek verve, I can forgive it the Queen/David Bowie soundtrack...

Oh, I love that one too. Yes, it's the tongue in cheek verve, but they also do know their subject matter. Right at the end that quote about 'been measured and found wanting' is taken from the Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal. There are all sorts of primary source medieval japes and spoofs and jokes going on in there that show they did their research, even if the film is anachronistic - so I can forgive them. The fact that I also write Medieval fiction to rock soundtracks (much harder than theirs it has to be said lol!) endears me too. They are people after my own heart. :D
Les proz e les vassals

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat December 20th, 2008, 7:37 pm

puppy chow is rice chex coated in melted butter, peanut butter and semi sweet choclate then coated with powder sugar or confectioners sugar, which ever you call it. 'puppy chow' is not the name of it but somehow back when I was a kid my brother and I started calling it that and it just stuck so my girls call it the same and so on.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun December 21st, 2008, 7:19 am

"Love Actually", but edited cause it was on Oxygen. A good movie for Christmas time.

If I'm not on tomorrow it's because we lost power.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Sun December 21st, 2008, 8:28 am

"nona" wrote:puppy chow is rice chex coated in melted butter, peanut butter and semi sweet choclate then coated with powder sugar or confectioners sugar, which ever you call it. 'puppy chow' is not the name of it but somehow back when I was a kid my brother and I started calling it that and it just stuck so my girls call it the same and so on.

We had puppy chow when we visited friends in Detroit! Yummy stuff! And yes they did call it puppy chow too. It did look a little like chunky dog food!

We would never call food something like that in Australia! ;) (jk).

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun December 21st, 2008, 5:11 pm

lol, I agree the name is a put off but once one tries it most enjoy it. Today is my company potluck/gift exchange and they requested a huge batch of puppy chow and my patato soup. So it can't be that bad.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sun December 21st, 2008, 5:16 pm

So I'm being dumb again, but what are rice chex? :)
I'm sure I'd enjoy puppy chow.

As to giving foods terrible names, my mum used to make bars out of Rice Crispie cereal and melted marsh mallows. My dad used to call it 'maggot pie.'
I am not going to say what Rhubarb crumble and custard used to be called at school dinners, as I'd be banned from the list!
Les proz e les vassals

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”