Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed December 28th, 2011, 4:01 pm

"Ash" wrote:My husband saw War Horse and hated it. Said it played like Black Beauty Goes to War. He kept expecting Lassie to show up at any moment (neither of us are big on real animals being anthropomorphed as human)

Actually, one of the things I LIKED about War Horse is that it didn't anthropomorphise the horses. It just showed them being reasonably well-trained horses. They didn't talk, or do anything a horse couldn't or wouldn't do. As a sometime dog-llama-horse trainer (of people more than their animals), I have to spend most of my time getting 'Bambi' out of the owner's heads and helping them understand the very specific ways that their animal's brain is set up to think. I'm always grateful when Hollywood helps with that, and I grind my teeth (anticipating more work in the future) whenever some movie shows animals thinking and acting like humans.

The one that really teed me off was Marley and Me, which made the trainer into a witch and glorified horrible dog-owner behavior as 'cute'.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed December 28th, 2011, 6:32 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:THey were the only believable part of LA for me too, apart from them I think it's one of the worst films I've ever had to endure, loathed it. :eek: :(

Oh I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, it's one of my faves (though I hate "Mia" the slut), oh well, to each their own, right? :)

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Thu December 29th, 2011, 1:55 am

"Brenna" wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't love LA. I watched it twice just to make sure I wasn't having a "bad day" when I watched it the first time. It stunk just as bad the second time around!

I rewatched "The Help" yesterday and Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. I thought it was cute if a little drawn out.

I'm so against animal movies that I will shut my eyes and box my ears when previews come on. I can't even get through the previews without wanting to cry. Same with the SPCA commercials. Too sensitive to those types of things..

I never watch movies where the animal star dies, hence I refuse to watch 'Marley and Me'.....I remember a few years back I watched a movie about snow dogs in Alaska where the owner is trapped and one by one terrible things happen to the dogs...I bawled so HARD that I gave myself a migraine!!! :eek: ...After that I swore never again!....But I am looking forward to watching 'The Help'...I think the movie will probably be better than the book.

Bec :)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Thu December 29th, 2011, 3:27 am

David and I really weren't expecting to like My Week With Marilyn. Neither of us are big Monroe fans (tho we always felt sorry for her). But there were enough actors in this film to make us interested, and enough people around us saying we must see it. Well, needless to say we didn't get bored enough to go to the bookstore next door. We were rivited. This is a must see, no matter what you know or don't know about Monroe. This is an amazing movie. And if Williams doesn't get the Best Actress award, there is no justice....

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu December 29th, 2011, 10:00 am

Finally saw The King's Speech, it was good. I thought Geoffrey Rush and Helena BC were also excellent.
Currently reading "Heavenfield" by L J Ross & "Lost for Words" by Stephanie Butland

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu December 29th, 2011, 7:23 pm

Agreed with MLE about Marley & Me.

Didn't love Love Actually either but my favorite couple was actually Colin Firth's character and the housekeeper. I thought they were sweet. And I like the scene where Hugh Grant's character is dancing.

Watched The Game Plan. Cute little movie. That little girl is talented.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Fri December 30th, 2011, 2:52 am

"Ash" wrote:David and I really weren't expecting to like My Week With Marilyn. Neither of us are big Monroe fans (tho we always felt sorry for her). But there were enough actors in this film to make us interested, and enough people around us saying we must see it. Well, needless to say we didn't get bored enough to go to the bookstore next door. We were rivited. This is a must see, no matter what you know or don't know about Monroe. This is an amazing movie. And if Williams doesn't get the Best Actress award, there is no justice....

I haven't seen the movie yet but Williams will probably go toe to toe with Streep for the Iron Lady(I haven't seen that one either).....Be interesting to watch when the Oscars are shown.

Bec :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri December 30th, 2011, 10:50 pm

Watched something called Broken Bridges with Toby Keith and Kelly Preston. It was better than I expected. Lots of people I recognized in the supporting roles.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat December 31st, 2011, 2:18 am

The Artist is incredible - its been a while since I have been so pleasantly surprised by a movie.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat December 31st, 2011, 3:46 am

Also watched a fluffy ABC Family movie called Christmas Cupid. It was ok.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”