Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun October 9th, 2011, 1:55 am

Watched Willow and From Prada to Nada. Liked Willow. FPtN was cute; a modern LA version of Sense & Sensibility.

red805
Reader

Postby red805 » Wed October 12th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Watched Notting Hill twice in 3 days. So cute! I'm still singing the song.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Fri October 14th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Don't watch much tv anymore, but when my husband is home we occasionally catch up on some his favorite comedy shows when seasons are finally uploaded to Netflix. This week we've been watching Season 3 of Parks and Recreation. Very funny. I love the Ron Swanson character. His Pyramid of Greatness cracks me up.

Last movie we watched was Bright Star about John Keats. Interestingly enough, I spent part of the movie trying to figure out where I'd seen the actor (Paul Schneider) playing Mr. Brown. Then it dawned on me: the city planner in the first two seasons of Parks and Recreation. I feel like I'm playing the Kevin Bacon game. :D

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sat October 15th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Finally feeling well enough to get out of the house. Hubby and I saw "Drive" last night with Ryan Gosling and Carry Mulligan. Dark and bloody. Maybe I've seen too many of these, but I predicted every "twist" in the movie. Albert Brooks was great as a small time mobster.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun October 16th, 2011, 2:23 am

Bottle Shock. Liked it. Great cast.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Sun October 16th, 2011, 4:04 am

'Thor'--I enjoyed it more than I thought I would but I couldn't re-watch it. Good entertainment though and better than 'Clash of the Titans'.

'I am number four'...It's ok and much better than 'Twilight' where I really did go to sleep.

I have 'Never let me Go' I will watch that one tonight.

Bec :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Monsoon Summer by Julia Gregson & Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager(Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sun October 16th, 2011, 10:39 am

I haven't seen the film Never Let Me Go, but loved the book (if 'loved' is the right word as it's quite a harrowing read).
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Tue October 18th, 2011, 1:35 am

"Vanessa" wrote:I haven't seen the film Never Let Me Go, but loved the book (if 'loved' is the right word as it's quite a harrowing read).

I didn't mind the movie but I think it missed something. When it comes to this type of subject the book will probably be better than the movie in that a book can express so much more than actors can portray on a screen in a limited time frame.

It is a very thought provoking film(and book)and I finished the movie with the thought that if this really is the 'future' then I would want out..For how do we value life? And who among us can play God? But what really got me was to see cruelty coated by 'kindness.'

A challenging and haunting film.

Bec :)

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Postby Alisha Marie Klapheke » Tue October 18th, 2011, 1:42 am

Jane Eyre. While it wasn't my fave, beautiful scenery graced many of the creepy moments and saved the movie from being too harsh. It was creepier than I thought it would be.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Tue October 18th, 2011, 12:24 pm

On Showtime, I saw a Swedish vampire film, Let the Right One in and enjoyed it.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”