Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon October 3rd, 2011, 3:51 am

"LoveHistory" wrote:Holes. Cool. I liked it more than I thought I would.

It is a good movie, I liked it a lot.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue October 4th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Frontier House. Interesting sociological study.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Wed October 5th, 2011, 2:31 am

'The Debt' I watched the Israeli version. It was good but I also want to watch the Helen Mirren version and see which one was better.

'At Home with the Georgians' I really liked this dvd set and found it interesting and informative and some parts where she read aloud from diaries of that period were very poignant...To be unmarried back in those days was almost a crime...Thank God I am born this century!

I am also looking forward to XMen first Class...Fassbender and McAvoy :D unbeatable

Bec :)

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Wed October 5th, 2011, 4:46 am

"rebecca" wrote:'At Home with the Georgians' I really liked this dvd set and found it interesting and informative and some parts where she read aloud from diaries of that period were very poignant...To be unmarried back in those days was almost a crime...Thank God I am born this century!

Amanda Vickery also did a radio program for the BBC THe History of Private Life, which was primary Georgian. If you can find CDs (or downloads like I did ;) ) I highly recommend it. She uses a lot of personal diary entries, and the music used is really fantastic.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Wed October 5th, 2011, 8:37 pm

"rebecca" wrote:'The Debt' I watched the Israeli version. It was good but I also want to watch the Helen Mirren version and see which one was better.

I loved the Mirren version! Didn't know there was an Israeli version. I'll have to get it. Thanks for the heads up.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Thu October 6th, 2011, 1:25 pm

It was originally an Israeli film. I'd love to see it as well, I assume its captioned?

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Fri October 7th, 2011, 3:39 am

Amanda--"Amanda Vickery also did a radio program for the BBC THe History of Private Life, which was primary Georgian. If you can find CDs (or downloads like I did)"

I am such a technophobe so much so that I don't even own a mobile phone, they scare me :eek: ! But I would love it if Amanda V decided to put all of this work into book form including copies of the diary extracts. I just love this peek into history from a personal POV about every day people living every day lives in that time period. I also really loved 'Tales from the Green Valley(I think it is called?).

Faith--"I loved the Mirren version! Didn't know there was an Israeli version. I'll have to get it. Thanks for the heads up..."

YW and I can't wait to see the Mirren version..she is just fantastic! Though I worry about Sam Worthington he is so wooden!

Yep Ash, it has english subtitles. :)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Fri October 7th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Though I worry about Sam Worthington he is so wooden

He is, but it worked for the part.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Sat October 8th, 2011, 1:54 am

"Ash" wrote:He is, but it worked for the part.

Thank goodness but I don't understand why critics rave about Sam W..He can't act! He always sounds like he is reading from a tele prompter. But I am still looking forward to the Mirren version of 'The Debt.'

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sat October 8th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Watched Calendar Girls again - nice film, and quite touching, although the end section in the US feels a bit tacked on.
Currently reading "Heavenfield" by L J Ross & "Lost for Words" by Stephanie Butland

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”