Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue September 13th, 2011, 2:47 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Oh I love Fantasia, especially the Sorcerer part.

Saw the latest Jane Eyre last night; it's OK but a bit underwhelming - as usual, Mr R is way too young and cleancut looking, and the central romance just didn't really convince me; several scenes were rushed through - Blanche Ingram barely got a mention and her scenes were so short I wasn't even sure which lady she was - whilst others dragged. They did Jane's early life very well, and Judi Dench was, as usual, priceless, and it does look good, but not the best version. Not bad though.

I have a friend who is adamant that the best version is the 1973 with Michael Jayston as Rochester. I have to admit he's certainly the best Rochester I've seen so far.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue September 13th, 2011, 6:59 pm

I don't remember that version, there are so many out there now!
Currently reading "How to stop time" by Matt Haig & "The Miller's Dance" by Winston Graham

LGWalker
Scribbler

Postby LGWalker » Tue September 13th, 2011, 11:10 pm

My fifteen-year-old daughter and I had pizza and a movie night. We rented The Social Network. We both thought it was very good.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun October 2nd, 2011, 3:54 am

Morning Glory. Funny.

A Wrinkle in Time. Not my choice, but not bad.

Newsies. Very good. Didn't know Christian Bale could sing.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Postby SGM » Sun October 2nd, 2011, 5:40 am

I just had to see Tinker Tailor so I went on the first night as it will be difficult for me to get to the cinema during the week again for a while. I must admit I really like Gary Oldman but have got fed up seeing him cast as a psycho (even if he does make an exceptionally great psycho) and it was nice to see him in a good part that wasn't one.

It was kind of difficult for me to assess as I already knew the plot anyway. It was obviously cut down a lot and the plot was made a lot clearer but I think it worked as well as it could in a two-hour period rather than the six hours of the TV serial.

I didn't think Colin Firth was as good as Ian Richardson but then the part he had wasn't as good as the part Richardson had -- but that, of course, has to do with the film being so much shorter as well.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Sun October 2nd, 2011, 12:58 pm

Ordered and watched two great films I wanted to own and are at last available:

The Queen of Spades with Anton Walbrook, Dame Edith Eveans, and Ronald Howard (Leslie's son). Some great Gypsy singing in it.

He Who Must Die (Colui Che Deve Mourir) based on Kazantzakis' novel, the Greek Passion, directed by Jules Dassin with Melina Mercouri, Jean Servais, and other fine actors of the late 1950s. Gregoire Aslan is perfect as the Agha.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sun October 2nd, 2011, 2:44 pm

Jefferson in Pairs. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Dull.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun October 2nd, 2011, 3:17 pm

Unexpectedly surprised by how much I liked Moneyball. The critics were right - you don't have to know much about baseball or even like baseball much to enjoy this movie. I always thought Brad Pitt played a one note character, but this time he breaks out of that, and gives a performance that is belieavable. There really wasn't much I could criticize the movie for - except that they couldn't change history abit for the poor guy! (but I am glad they stuck to it, and didn't make Hollywood style changes that really would have ruined the point of the story)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon October 3rd, 2011, 1:02 am

Holes. Cool. I liked it more than I thought I would.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Mon October 3rd, 2011, 3:38 am

Alladin, it was as cute as I remember.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”