Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat August 13th, 2011, 9:53 pm

I saw the last season or Larkrise. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two seasons. And Twister was more annoying than ever.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun August 14th, 2011, 2:18 am

We saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes. For a remake of a 'B' movie, it wasn't too bad. Some plot holes you could drive a truck through, but the way they ran with it, believable. The CGI is excellent (btw the actor who 'plays' Ceaser is the same one who did the voice for Gollum in LOTR). The scenes of hundreds of apes crossing the Golden Gate or scampering up the Redwoods was marvelous. Anyway, very entertaining, a good way to spend a hot Saturday afternoon.
'

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sun August 14th, 2011, 5:53 pm

"Ash" wrote:The CGI is excellent (btw the actor who 'plays' Ceaser is the same one who did the voice for Gollum in LOTR).

Andy Serkis not only did the voice, but "played" Gollum, as well, through motion capture (the same process used in making the natives in "Avatar.") I saw a "Making of..." way back when, with him leaping around on rocks and skulking through vegetation in that motion capture suit. He really needed a massage after hours of hunching and scrabbling!

I've been rewatching the Harry Potter series the last couple of weeks. Just finished "Order of the Phoenix" a couple of days ago. I do so enjoy watching the young actors grow up. Also have to comment that "Goblet of Fire" is one of those rare movies that is better than the book. The writers got to cut out all the boring bits!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sun August 14th, 2011, 10:22 pm

The Mummy- Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Mon August 15th, 2011, 6:04 pm

My husband and I watched 'The Eagle' and 'The Help' this weekend. [U]The Eagle [/U]was mediocre (like the book) but 'The Help' is wonderful!
Brenna

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu August 18th, 2011, 12:18 am

On The Town. I really like it. The music is fun. And I liked Ann Miller better in this than in Kiss Me Kate.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Thu August 18th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Hee, I first read that as Our Town, and thought, music? Fun? Um no - then I reread, ahhhh. Got it (we did Our Town in HS, its an amazing good play; haven't read it in a while, wonder if it would hold up)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Thu August 18th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Hee. What was the old gossip's name - Mrs. Soames, wasn't it? Get a nice alto, some zippy evil to emanate at everybody - oh what a musical you've got there ...

I've been revisiting Star Trek: The Next Generation now that Netflix has it streaming. Ohhh me - geek heaven.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri August 19th, 2011, 12:16 am

I read Our Town back in High School. Never seen it on stage. I've been working on my music more lately. Maybe I'll re-read and turn it into a musical. ;)

Company. Sondheim, so the music is great. Interesting show. Lots of talent involved in this one. Didn't recognize any of the actors, which I think made it better actually.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Fri August 19th, 2011, 1:33 am

Star Trek- Generations. Two Captains.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”