Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon May 2nd, 2011, 10:34 am

Watched "Remember Me", yes mainly to see Rob Pattinson in something other than the Twilights, it was OK, thought the ending very unsubtle and mawkish, although once I saw what year the film was set in, I suspected there would be some link with what happened (don't want to give any spoilers).
Currently reading "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon May 2nd, 2011, 1:20 pm

The Philadelphia Story. Very good.

BrianPK
Reader

Postby BrianPK » Mon May 2nd, 2011, 8:34 pm

I've two films on the go at the moment and will finish both tonight. I'm greatly enjoying Thoroughly Modern Millie...Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore(remember when they were all the rage) ... a real blast from the past which I last saw over 30 years ago :eek: on the big screen.
I'm also viewing Cirque du Freak a more up to date enjoyable piece of rubbish.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sat May 7th, 2011, 8:24 pm

I finally reached "Pillars of the Earth" on my Netflix qeue and am enjoying it very much. Makes me want to buy the TV series "Kings" which I found to be easily the most interesting thing to make broadcast, perhaps ever. I've also been alternating the recently-acquired third season of "Big Bang Theory" and Jacobi in "I, Claudius" in the DVD player ... because, basically, I am a complete weirdo.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

BrianPK
Reader

Postby BrianPK » Sat May 7th, 2011, 11:01 pm

"DianeL" wrote: and Jacobi in "I, Claudius" in the DVD player ... .

I watched this again a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it even if the sets and sound quality seem quite dated now.Outstanding acting though. I also read the novel last year. Great read.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat May 7th, 2011, 11:49 pm

I've watched half of Henry VIII from 2003. Helena Bonham-Carter made a great Anne Boleyn.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun May 8th, 2011, 2:08 am

"LoveHistory" wrote:I've watched half of Henry VIII from 2003. Helena Bonham-Carter made a great Anne Boleyn.

Helena has played 3 British Queens and only one has not lost her head, LOL!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sun May 8th, 2011, 2:49 am

... and now I am wondering who could write the alternative history in which the Queen Mum lost hers ...

... and of course, I'm hating myself, because - what a perfectly reprehensible thought.

I blame Helena. She lends herself to that sort of ghoulishness! (And I mean that as if it were a compliment.)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun May 8th, 2011, 12:19 pm

LOL Diane! Of course the Queen Mum would not have to lose her head in a literal, physical sense. There's always insanity. If done in a harmless way that could actually be entertaining.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun May 8th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Some people would say its already happened :)

Not a movie - but my sis and I went to see the Broadway musical Billy Elliot. Wow - the sets, choreography, acting were all top notch. Not all of the songs worked, tho I appreciate the effort to tell the story about the Durham Mine Strike of 1984 along with the story of a boy who wants to be a ballet dancer. Amazingly, that worked (btw, I had no idea the scope of this strike, why it happened, and its consequences before seeing this. So now there is no coal mining in England, and it gets its coal from the Ukraine? Wow. Tho I suspect the Brits here will set me straight :) Anyway, did anyone see the movie? Your thoughts?

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”