Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue April 12th, 2011, 3:37 am

I've watched through four of Henry's wives now and I can say that so far Anne of Cleves is my favorite. The Catherine of Aragon episode lagged quite a bit, though it had it's moments. I thought they did a fairly good job with Anne Boleyn.

One thing I do like is that each part is written by a different person. Gives you six different perspectives, but Henry remains believeable throughout because the use the same actor (and what a talented man he is!).

Elysium
Reader

Postby Elysium » Tue April 12th, 2011, 7:56 pm

The Madness of King George. Not sure what to say about this really...

BrianPK
Reader

Postby BrianPK » Tue April 12th, 2011, 11:16 pm

"Elysium" wrote:The Madness of King George. Not sure what to say about this really...

I've seen it a few times and always enjoyed it.Great acting,gorgeous colour and beautiful music.

I watched my dvd of the wonderful Russian film Ballad of a Soldier over the past few nights. I've seen this film numerous times over the years but feel an urge to watch it every so often. I just love the innocence and idealism of the story and the relationship between the two main characters is simply spellbinding . The music is very haunting also.

BrianPK
Reader

Postby BrianPK » Tue April 12th, 2011, 11:36 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:I've watched through four of Henry's wives now and I can say that so far Anne of Cleves is my favorite.

I watched David Starkeys The six wives of Henry VIII recently and felt that poor Anne of Cleeves was a real innocent in a den of wolves... but at least she held on to her head even if she was discarded but she was quite lonely(being a foreigner) for the rest of her days. She had the distinction, prior to her death at 42 years of age, of being the last of Henry's wives on this earth as all the others were dead by then.

Elysium
Reader

Postby Elysium » Fri April 15th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Beowulf. That was a waste of time and I was bored.

red805
Reader

Postby red805 » Fri April 15th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Fingersmith from Netflix. I thought they did a beautiful job & kept quite close to the book in the time allowed.

BrianPK
Reader

Postby BrianPK » Fri April 15th, 2011, 11:18 pm

"Elysium" wrote:Beowulf. That was a waste of time and I was bored.

I've watched it twice and really enjoyed it.But I didn't bother to ask my wife to join me in a viewing as I immediately pigeon holed it as a "mans" (more accurately "boys")film which she would find extremely boring.

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Postby N. Gemini Sasson » Fri April 15th, 2011, 11:27 pm

"Elysium" wrote:Watched The Lovely Bones. I don't know why I waited so long to see it. I loved it!

Yes, I liked that one, too. A smidge disturbing, but riveting. In fact, I could probably even watch it again and I don't do that often.

Saw Black Swan and when my kids warned me it was a hundred different ways of 'awkward', they were right. I thought Natalie Portman's acting was excellent, but the story as a whole was just... weird.

Also saw The King's Speech. I liked it. Worth watching.

ejays17
Reader

Postby ejays17 » Sat April 16th, 2011, 8:28 am

Saw Hop today - suitable pre-Easter viewing we thought. :D

It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours, and I reaaallly wanted to take home the smallest Pink Beret (she with the allergies & puffer :) )
Both SLOC & I decided that Russell Brand was way less annoying if you couldn't actually see him *giggle*
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat April 16th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Finished the Tudors. I thought it was good. The ending seem rushed to me.

I am currently watching The Lovely Bones..its kinda dull.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”