Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Wed April 6th, 2011, 12:04 am

My husband and I just finished The Centurion and thought it was very well done. If you are curious about the Roman 9th Legion, this is a good movie to watch.
Brenna

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed April 6th, 2011, 2:16 am

Watched almost all the first episode of The Six Wives of Henry VIII. A bit stunned to find Annette Crosby cast as Catherine of Aragon. Her accent isn't bad but when she speaks Spanish it sounds strange. This is much better quality than I'd expected from a production in that decade. Good casting on Henry for his adult years.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Fri April 8th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Hubby was at an event, so treated myself to a movie I've had on the DVR for awhile. The Last Legion (2007) with Colin Firth and Ben Kingsley is about the boy Emperor Romulus (the last Roman Emperor) and an (imaginary) trek to Britain to bring back the Last Legion (the missing Ninth) to overthrow the Goths. With such a good cast (also had Keven McKidd from Rome, John Hannah from the Mummy movies and Spartacus, and a bunch of good supporting actors I've seen in dozens of things), I was surprised it only got 2 of 4 stars. After watching, I understood. It wasn't a bad movie, just not as good as it could have been.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat April 9th, 2011, 12:42 am

The Hangover. Very funny in parts, but not really my kind of movie.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sat April 9th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Win Win with Paul Giamatti. Contemporary, funny, poignant. I'll watch anything with Giamatti in it.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

User signature picture

Head_Unit

Postby Head_Unit » Sat April 9th, 2011, 5:48 pm

"Nefret" wrote:Watched the Young Victoria this morning. :)

I really really liked that movie. Perhaps it is not cinema for the ages, but it was very nicely done. It's so refreshing to see a movie with actual characters, instead of endless violence and profanity and over-the-top special effects.

All I knew about Victoria and Albert was they have a museum, and they were supposed to have been much in love with each other. I'm sure the movie takes license as they all do, but it let me picture those happenings vividly. And it was so funny that Buckingham Palace was brand new! I somehow always thought it was older than that.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat April 9th, 2011, 6:02 pm

"Head_Unit" wrote: And it was so funny that Buckingham Palace was brand new! I somehow always thought it was older than that.

Actually it wasn't brand new, just redesigned. It was originally a townhouse built for the Duke of Buckingham in 1705, bought by George III for his queen in 1761, and called the Queen's House, and then George IV had it enlarged and redesigned. It only became the official royal palace when Victoria became queen.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

BrianPK
Reader

Postby BrianPK » Sat April 9th, 2011, 10:22 pm

"Head_Unit" wrote:I really really liked that movie. Perhaps it is not cinema for the ages, but it was very nicely done. It's so refreshing to see a movie with actual characters, instead of endless violence and profanity and over-the-top special effects.

I avoided The Young Victoria for a long time but eventually watched it a few weeks ago and found it surprisingly good.King William IV was a monarch I didn't know a lot about.
With the royal wedding coming up, my wife is insisting that I go anywhere but remain in the tv room on the wedding day. She says that she wants to enjoy it without listening to continuous sarcastic and cynical comments. :D

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Mon April 11th, 2011, 6:21 am

Saw the new Jane Eyre movie last week.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Mon April 11th, 2011, 1:43 pm

"BrianPK" wrote:IWith the royal wedding coming up, my wife is insisting that I go anywhere but remain in the tv room on the wedding day. She says that she wants to enjoy it without listening to continuous sarcastic and cynical comments. :D

Hee - I'd probably be agreeing with you, but even this jaded cynic likes to watch a fairy tale wedding. Whats not to like? (tho I'll grant you, if it was my taxes paying for it, I might have a different POV)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”