Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Thu February 17th, 2011, 6:04 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:Yes, Lost in Austen is good fun! :D

I completely agree! Great cast all round.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Thu February 17th, 2011, 6:39 pm

"sweetpotatoboy" wrote:I completely agree! Great cast all round.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just added Lost in Austen to the Netflix
queue. I can always use a laugh!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat February 19th, 2011, 11:19 pm

The King's Speech. Brilliant film. I hope it cleans up at the Oscars.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun February 20th, 2011, 3:02 am

"LoveHistory" wrote:The King's Speech. Brilliant film. I hope it cleans up at the Oscars.

I just would like Colin F. to win so badly! A bunch of famous ppl want Javier Bardem to win but he has HIS Oscar, time for Colin to win!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sun February 20th, 2011, 12:10 pm

And CF didn't win last year so it's his turn!
Currently reading "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun February 20th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Given the conversation re the Kennedy tv series, and in honor of President's Day, I thought this an interesting article

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/02/20/greene.presidents.hollywood/index.html?hpt=C1#

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sun February 20th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Thanks for the link, Ash! I have a biography of Reagan (from PBS) sitting on the DVR because it promised to be more even handed than the love/hate fests I normally run across. I'll report back!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun February 20th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Very good article, thanks Ash. This part is right on "conditioned-to-be-reflexively-partisan" a lot of people don't even think, they just spout the most recent rhetoric of their choice of party. We're seeing a lot of that in Wisconsin right now (mostly people who won't bother to do any research and find out what's really going on either.

I don't think Lincoln could get elected in the 21st century. He was hated enough in his own time. Imagine the way people would dig into his past, his mental health, his wife's mental health. His Twitter feed might be interesting though.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Sun February 20th, 2011, 6:27 pm

There was at least one error spoken by the narrator in the Reagan PBS doc. He said Regan instituted tuition for the first time for the University campuses. Not true. I paid tuition from the time I enrolled Cal in 1949.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon February 21st, 2011, 5:54 pm

I've been to see The King's Speech today. I thought it was wonderful. Colin Firth definitely deserved his BAFTA, as did the film and Geoffrey Rush who I thought was excellent as the speech therapist. I was holding my breath at the end when he was doing his speech! :o :rolleyes: :) Very moving. It would be lovely to see CF receive an Oscar for his performance as he was very convincing.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”